Thread: 1990 Nova 1.2 Merit Project

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking 1990 Nova 1.2 Merit Project

Got a mk1 1.2 nova given to me last christmas and it has just sat on the drive not doing much for the past 8 months. I have decided that I finally want to do something with it so I'm making it into a project.

I want to lower it and find some new alloys but I don't want it to look like a typical chavs car.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with where to find springs or alloys? And give me some advice as this is my first car project
    Last edited by Conrado; 26-10-11 at 09:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mk1 or two, chap.. I like standard vauxhall rims, say cesaros, slabs, fan blades, three spokes etc,.. and maybe just lower 40mm to start with using the standard shocks or look out for a second hand set with proper dampers.

Gold Club Member# 001 Club Member Nova_Tek's Avatar
    Hertfordshire..... Builds: ......... Snowplough'd LET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Conrado,

Best way to stop the Nova from looking like a chav ride is to keep the mods subtle and tasteful. No silly bodykits, the various Vauxhall ones look great. Take your time picking alloys whether it is Vauxhall stuff or aftermarket as the right wheel makes the car look perfect. Consider the offset (Vauxhall standard being ET49 but 45 - 49 is normally safe). As for springs, in my experience cheap stuff may make the car look good but you'll be visiting a doctor frequently for back pain . SO look at quality items instead. Anything up to 40mm lower will mean you can use your standard shock (if they are good) or buy O.E. Spec shocks which you can get for really good prices. Anything 50mm and lower will mean it's best to use shortened shocks.

If you're gonna keep the engine standard then a good service is best to make sure it performs well.

Have fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's mk1. The problem with my rims is that they are pretty rusty haha. People have suggested cavvy slabs and fan blades. Do you know a good place to get some new springs?

Gold Club Member# 001 Club Member Nova_Tek's Avatar
    Hertfordshire..... Builds: ......... Snowplough'd LET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eBay can be great for the higher priced stuff going cheap. Example - brother bought some H&R springs for his Cavalier - normally cost £130 new but he got them for £35.

Research what springs you want and then just go search the web for them. I got my H&R springs new for £132 where in places they were £150 back then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahh ok thanks :D

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make it a SR or GTE rep then you can't go wrong

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you can get a full set of front and back coilovers for a corsa b/ Nova, brand new cheap ones on ebay for around a hundred quid now.

Why not try a 5 stud conversion, swap all your hubs over and fit cavalier turbo wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gunna get some Cesaros and spray them gloss black. I will post photos soon