User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 1990 mk1 merit project!.

Afternoon all,
    Back after a break from novas. Some of you may remember one or two of my old ones,

My first, the one that got this somewhat irritating bug going.
    1992 K reg 1.4i merit. Got it off my father when he upgraded, I was 15 and used it as a project. Never saw the road.

Next up nova wise, Was this one
    Miami blue 1990 mk2 saloon, 50k minter. Was absolutly solid. But mates bigger faster cars got the better of me so lost interest.

Next up, Was the GTE rep, Which is on gumtree at the moment!. Shes been passed about alot!,. I got it with insanely bodged wiring, I ripped it out, fitted a new wiring loom and got it all running properly, So close to finishing, Insured it, And the alt kept catching on chassis leg. So again. Lost interest, Was offered a 2002 polo for it so took it. Regretted it since.
    Anywho, MK1 1988 GTE replica. Cobra exhaust system, GTE interior, c16se.

This seems to be a reoccuring pattern, Dont you agree?
    Since i got into cars, legally ive had in excess of 70cars. Mainly vauxhall, But had some saxos, 106s, corsas, golfs, However, a month ago, i had a fiesta zetec s, needed accident repairs done, So i done that, Fancied something a bit faster, So a deal was done sold that, Purchased a 2002 VTR which was definately an impulse buy. Done all the little bits iit needed then this popped up locally. Some call my stupid, I say i got a decent deal but the lad got a good car also!.

1990 G plater, Never seen a welder. Ex demo car for vauxhall, Then an old boy owned it to 21k, The lad i got it from owned it to 31k, and now ive got it, Got pictures of all the history but the old boy wanted to hold onto it for some reason, He was so reluctant to sell, But ill health forced sale.

As youll see in pics, i refuse to use the 'MINT' expression thats commonly thrown around, But its very tidy.

About an hour after i took ownership.

It stayed like this for a day? I painted the standard rims black to try and tart it up a little.
    Also lowered it a little,.

Again, Stayed like this for a few days, Got bored. done this although im still not sure

Fitted HIDS before hand but didnt like the look of them, So sold them and purchased a set of pressed plates instead!. No pics at present.

Few days later, the effects of origional wheel bearings on a 24yr old car started showing, It was making a horrible grinding noise. So front wheel bearings were replaced, along with track rod ends and cv boots. This cured this, however while i was doing that, I noticed the nsf shock had been leaking, and wasnt ''absorbing'' at all, So resorted to origional suspension for now, Until i strip my d turbod berlingo van due to my brother blowing my gearbox up, Then ill only be paying one lot of insurance and will have more left for the nova

Hope ive kept you all here,
    Also, Ive sourced a GTE steering wheel, some painted mirrors, And possibly some wheels!.
    Thanks for reading.
    Joe.

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice collect, the silver one looks very clean. Good place to start.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Senior User
    Somewhere under the bonnet. Drives: Mark 4 Astra GSi turbo. Builds: Nothing yet.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About time you got a project thread up!!

Who you sell the hids to? I seem to remember having my name on them

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Benn - It is a very tidy base, However with every 24yr old car, It has its issues, minor corrosion on the front valance as seen in bottom pic, where it meets the wing. battery tray although its solid, does have very minor corrosion. Both rear arches have again minor corrosion on the arch lips, and the drivers rear has a very small rust bubble,

Nothing i cant sort, but will take time.

@Hitchcock - Took em out my nova n the mothers nicked a bulb for now as one of hers blew!. Youll be pleased to know, The vans gone.

Senior User
    Somewhere under the bonnet. Drives: Mark 4 Astra GSi turbo. Builds: Nothing yet.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would I be please the bloody van has gone? . How'd you do the front lights yellow? They look pretty cool. I might just get a brand new set of hids at some point

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyThom View Post
    Why would I be please the bloody van has gone? . How'd you do the front lights yellow? They look pretty cool. I might just get a brand new set of hids at some point
    I dunno haha.
    Yellow lights are laminex headlight tint off eBay. About 4£

bit of an update today,
    painted 90% of the underside in rust protection direct to metal hammerite. Ground back a bit of bubbling paint on osr arch only to find it has been filtered at some point only minor but bit of a kick in the balls. Also had rear bumper off to check for the tin worm. One minor patch so welded a plate once area was cleared. And same treatment as above.

Picking up a set of Clio 172 wheels as a temp measure for now. And sorted a set of front coils so she be lowered again soon!

Then decided to give it a wash and a Hoover out. Pics later, my wifi stick isn't working!!
    Joe

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, Nova failed MOT today, Not bad for a 24yr old car.

001 Offside front (bulkhead area) suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded. In lamens terms, Battery tray now has a hole because the to$$er poked it

002 Offside front (inner wing) suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded. IE where the splash guard meets the suspension turret.
    Minor bits required

All in all pretty pleased. Been quoted £25 per side for new rear arches. thats if i supply,.
    Also, Shes back on steels. And a few pre mot pics!

Joe.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks like a good one that.

mk.1 in a decent colour too

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob-mcgrew View Post
    looks like a good one that.

mk.1 in a decent colour too
    It is tidy tbf mate. Although i was told it had no previous welding and needed none, so far it needs a new osr arch, battery tray, inner splash guard needs welding. and drivers door needs either repairing or replacing.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UPDATE

Bareing in mind ive not had alot of welding experience. Im one of those people that wants to give everything a go. Anyway. Setup the welded and started playing. Way i see it is anything can be repaired if i buggered it up more. So why not.

Section in question. Tad worse for wear.

Cut the cr*p out, And made up a plate. As you can see my welding is pidgeon sh*t but glad i had a go.

Had some difficulty getting the cleaning disk in the tight gaps to clean it all off, Also was experimenting with wire speeds etc.

Temporary battery tray repair. Will be replaced as soon as funds permit. Seeking alternative employment so fingers crossed something pops up soon!

Still, All nice and solid.

Update again tmo as will be in for a retest!