Thread: problems mounting c20xe

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default problems mounting c20xe

due to the fact i didnt take pics earlier and the problem really starting to bug me i thought id try my best to explain,

when mounting my c20xe/f20 a couple of weeks ago i managed to get the front g/box and o/s mount secured but couldnt for the life of me get the rear g/box mount to line up, i noticed at the time my o/s rubber was shot and twisting badly, i have modified the g/box mount as per the article and am using david dixon mounts,

now today after finally buying myself an engine hoist swapped all the old rubbers with some filled with tigerseal,

problem 1- due to me being a plum took the rear rubber mount off the body but didnt take note of which way round it went, does it have to be put on a certain way ie the little slit facing towards the engine?

(not so much a) problem 2- with my potential mess up /\, i now have all 3 mounts fitted but the engine looks to be really high but pretty level, at the min i am using the top 2 holes on the o/s mount, i tried to lower it using the bottom 2 holes but it wouldnt bolt up for love nor money, this doesnt bother me too much as i plan on using bonnet catches/pins

problem 3- their seems to be very little room when fastening the nut and bolt on the g/box, i've managed to fully tighten it tho, is this normal? if not could this be related to the above problems?

sorry for the long post an pics will appear tomorrow am

Club Member Club Member Pistol Pete's Avatar
    Swindoncestershire Building: A Breeze Blue XE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem 3, space is tight IIRC. But managable to get a bolt/nut in.

Have you checked you have the gearbox spacer plates right.

When i did mine, i put all bolts in as loose as possible and did the gearbox mount last.

And IIRC the mount can go either way.
    My Rebuild

They're over there with their new toys. Someone brought them in. No idea who bought them though.....

If it ay bost dow fix it! Club Member Nobby's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont think that the rear box mount has a special way see if the bolt holes line up ok and see if you can notice any marks on it that would co-inside (sp) with which way it came out, Does your bonnet close ok? as for the front gbox mount the bolt is too long with the big block box in the way i did mine on my v6 i just put the bolt through alittle and then started the nut, you can just about get a 15mm or 17mm (cant remember ) spanner on and tighten it up, once its tight get a juniour hacksaw and cut the bolt down till it just pokes through the nut, then if you do have to remove it then it will recut the end of the bolt for you.
    " If you aint breaking you aint racing! "

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

everytime ive put the ******* in, its always a wrestle he first 2 or 3 times but then you get really good at it. like the ecu clips and plugging them in.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

picture of rear g/box mount

picture of how the engine sits

after having a good luck from the front the bonnet does not catch the the engine, their looks to be about a cm gap
    Last edited by pikey1986; 29-08-11 at 01:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks to high on the drivers side, i had to drill another hole in the david dixon mount i got to make mine sit level

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always elongated the slot in the g/box mount by approx 10mm on all the conversions i've done. Had no issues when fitting the GrpA mounts as well which have a lot less give in them.

If it ay bost dow fix it! Club Member Nobby's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Austin_Nova16 View Post
    I've always elongated the slot in the g/box mount by approx 10mm on all the conversions i've done. Had no issues when fitting the GrpA mounts as well which have a lot less give in them.
    ye i had to elongate mine on my v6 with solid mounts, the drivers side is the issue mate defo it needs to drop down
    " If you aint breaking you aint racing! "

Hull, East Yorkshire. Drives: Vectra V6 'rusty bus'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your drivers leg mount needs to use the bottom two holes iirc, im sure mine is.

And yes the rear box mount was an absolute pig to bolt up, i shouted at it for ages before it decided to cooperate

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always put the rear mount on first, aswell as sort the front engine mount out you need to pull the rear gearbox mount forward so the slot is on the other side