Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Head Gasket

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think it just needs a new cambelt (AND A WATER PUMP)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    It is a good un isnt it
    loads of people believe it though.....i think its cos the autograssers(etc) allow for skimming of the cam carrier in their regs.... if you skimmed enough of it, it would push the hyd tappets down a lot, and it might feasibly allow for more revs, but i can't see it happening much......so i think its more for getting a clean surface for resealing.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
    i think it just needs a new cambelt (AND A WATER PUMP)
    Both the belt and pump are new, but I think that the belt has been in and out so many times it looks old.

HTML Code:
    mowgli this engine is so old, i don't think it has the bottom marker arrow like the later ones.
    What arrow is that?

Steve I have had the bottom sprocket off but there is no painted marks at all. How do I set it all up now?

Cheers

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just put your bottom pulley back together & retime it to the pointer & notch. re time the top pulley, and when you come to put the belt back on, maybe try the notch one tooth to the right of where it is in the photo. then run it up.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve0011 View Post
    yes your right with regards to spark timing

what needs to be done/checked is the timing between the crank and the cam.

i just took some pics but my phone cable is at home so i will post up later

unless someone can post some up earlier

nicked of migweb

notice the pointer on the pulley above this needs to line up with the notch/mark/cutout whatevers on your engine see the little cutout just below the pointer?

the cam pulley below lines up with the notch on the back cover, its a painted mark on yours so line up with that assuming the back cover has not moved as you said earlier

this is the physical engine timing, now fit the belt

one this is done turn the engine over a few time by hand to check that the marks end up in the same place.

now replace the altinator pulley and start the engine, check spark timing with your strobe light and adjust with the dizzy

hope this helps mate
    Steve on removing the alternator/bottom sproket, I could not find any paint marks where someone has set the timing in the past, so have you any idea's how I am going to set it now with no reference to go by?
    As equally importent is how do I put the sprocket back on, because on my alternator pully there is a notch taken out and what I want to know is does this notch go over the raised bit just above the red circle in your first picture?

I have asked a mate who also has a nova, and he has always set what I call setting the timing and has never heard of the setting it underneath the alternator sprocket.

Thanks for your help guys, I will be forever in your debt if you get me out of this one
    By the way do you use the timing light on this new sorce?

Cheers

Mike

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gunner1x1 View Post
    Steve on removing the alternator/bottom sproket, I could not find any paint marks where someone has set the timing in the past, so have you any idea's how I am going to set it now with no reference to go by?
    As equally importent is how do I put the sprocket back on, because on my alternator pully there is a notch taken out and what I want to know is does this notch go over the raised bit just above the red circle in your first picture?

I have asked a mate who also has a nova, and he has always set what I call setting the timing and has never heard of the setting it underneath the alternator sprocket, we are probably f-ing our cars because we are not doing the above.

Thanks for your help guys, I will be forever in your debt if you get me out of this one
    By the way do you use the timing light on the part under the alternator pully?

Cheers

Mike
    Bump

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gunner1x1 View Post
    Bump
    im at a bit of a loss on this one can you post a pic of crank pulley? im away in 10 mins going camping and wont be back til sunday i could have a re-think then

steve

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve0011 View Post
    im at a bit of a loss on this one can you post a pic of crank pulley? im away in 10 mins going camping and wont be back til sunday i could have a re-think then

steve
    Ok Steve, have a great weekend.

Cheers

Mike

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have just looked at the crankshaft pully under the alternator sproket on my nova and that dos'nt have any timing marks on it either.

Surely there must be a way of setting it up for the first time, or at least the first time after the factory set it?

Cheers

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

like i bluddy well said before..... use the notch & pointer off your alt pulley...then time it up at the top as before. then turn it over with the plugs out..... and then recheck the cam timing.....

as i also said before... the arrow on the crank pulley is a red herring on this age of car...