Thread: Head Gasket

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont know mate, i will ask around if it comes to that

to be honest, i dont suspect the lifters 'jaming' the engine they are just a pivot point really and should not stop the cam from turning

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id suggest rechecking the timing, if the valves are hitting the pistons then nothing will move

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but the design of the 1.2 engine means that if the pistons were against the valves, the lifters should simply push the oil out, and i can't imagine the cam, or the crank got turned very much between removal & refitting

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
    but the design of the 1.2 engine means that if the pistons were against the valves, the lifters should simply push the oil out, and i can't imagine the cam, or the crank got turned very much between removal & refitting
    i agree about crank/cam not moving much, 1 assumed the O.P has the skill to get the timing ok or at least within 1 tooth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there was a thread on here a few weeks back on a similar subject, and wasn't there some debate about the gasted being on upside down blocking oilways or similar...? the lifters then couldn't work properly..

i have always made sure there is a touch of oil on the lifters but that they are essentially 'dry'

maybe its something as simple as the spark plugs needing to be taken out.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from what i can make out he's been trying to just turn the engine over by hand but it seems 'jammed'. lifters either empty of pumped up would have no effect on the engine turning, gasket on upside down blocking oilways again would make no difference when turning by hand, spark plugs in would give some compression resistance but its not too OTT. hence my suggestion of removing belt and plugs and turning top and bottom end separately, i hope he has the sense to return cam to timing mark before moving bottom end thou

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you know what and its such a school boy error (cant think why i missed it )

ITS NOT IN GEAR IS IT?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, i dearly hope it isn't that....

on a slightly more serious note, the very first time i did a head gasket, i decided to just have one more look before bolting it down, and found a jubilee clip was down a bore... i seriously have no idea how it got there as it wasn't even off the engine i was working on, and my ex brother in law was around at the time & he would do such things for 'fun', but i learnt a valuable lesson that day... i still do one last look
    Last edited by mowgli; 17-07-11 at 01:03 PM.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bro in laws eh? such fun NOT

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After reading your recent posts and your views that you do not think it is the riser's I checked the other parts she bought from the dreaded ebay. The only other part that maybe to blame is the 'rocker arm's' which are from BGA (www.bgautomotive.co.uk) product code RA3995. On the box it states that it is only for engine code C16NZ, engine size 1598cc (GTE, GSI??). This is a slim chance that they are the wrong item because dispite what the box says their website shows that they are for a number of different Vauxhalls, including her 12ST.
    The reason I say that they could be at fault, is when you lay them next to the old GM version they are very slightly thicker. I realise that I am clutching at straws, but would this be enough to jam them under the cam?

Cheers

Mike