/\ listen to this man

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
    like i bluddy well said before..... use the notch & pointer off your alt pulley...then time it up at the top as before. then turn it over with the plugs out..... and then recheck the cam timing.....

as i also said before... the arrow on the crank pulley is a red herring on this age of car...
    Hey man carm down, I am trying to set the engine up using Steve's method and yours, but it is frustrating to know when one finishes and the other one starts especially when there are no marks on the bottom sproket Steve says the proper timing starts (hence the questions)'
    I am grateful for the advice members have given me and I am trying to act on them. I also realise that it must be frustrating to give the same info out to god knows how many members. But just think how frustrating it is for those of us who do not know how to correct a problem.

If you care to answer another question

You wrote,

this engine is so old, i don't think it has the bottom marker arrow like the later ones.

What years are we talking about?

Cheers

Mike
    Last edited by gunner1x1; 31-07-11 at 12:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gunner1x1...i am trying to maintain my calm but you keep asking the same question even though you have got the answer

using the pictures that were previously shown, you have a 1200 carb engine. thus its crank is timed up on the alternator pulley notch to the pointy thing.... what steve put was for a much later car & thus should be ignored.

i will go thru the method again from scratch as i would do it myself

1. fit the timing belt to the bottom pulley & then fit the alternator pulley over it. tighten the bolt. do this with the handbrake on & the car in gear.
    2. make sure the car is on level ground, and let the handbrake off, but with the gearbox in top gear. you can now time the bottom pulley by slowly rolling the car forwards or backwards. when it is right, pull the handbrake on tight.
    3. make sure the belt is fitted right on the bottom pulley then turn your attention to the top pulley. turn it with a spanner till the notch lines up with the backplate. as the backplate is located with only 2 bolts tot he cam carrier, if those 2 bolts are tight, the backplate is in the right place. when the cam pulley is correctly timed, pull of the 'front' side of the cambelt to take the slack out of it, and starting from the 'front' side, fit the belt to the pulley. if the pulley needs moving slightly to make it fit, then it should only need moving a couple of mm...
    4. when you have the 'front' side sorted, turn your attention to the 'rear' side. you need to use the water pump to tension the belt. tension it so that the belt still has a few mm sideways stretch... making it tight as a drum will definitely break something in the future.
    5. when the water pump bolts are tightened up, take it out of gear & with the plugs out, turn it over on the starter. then using the bolt on the crank pulley, turn it by hand till it is lined up on the pointer. then check the top pulley mark. it should be right.
    6. if not, then keep doing 3,4 &5 until it is.

7. if you still can't time it up, there is something else up with the engine. i'm talking about something daft like its been over skimmed, or you forgot to put the head gasket in, which i don't actually think has happened, but it really takes something drastic to stop a 1.2 nova engine get timed up properly.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the step by step guide. The trouble is I now have another problem. If you remember I said that although I got it started it was running and sounding really bad. So today I did a compression test and everyone read "ZERO" So what can I do now?

Cheers

Mike

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they all read zero you arent doing it correctly.
    You will only get zero if you do a test on a head on your bedroom floor

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    If they all read zero you arent doing it correctly.
    You will only get zero if you do a test on a head on your bedroom floor
    Andy I am using one of those Gunson compression testers
    http://reviews.halfords.com/4028/603217/reviews.htm After removing the lead to the coil, I removed one plug at a time and turned the engine over (with the key). First of all when turning it over I did one full click of about 15 to 20 seconds, I then put the plug back in and removed the next one. When this did not work, I turned the key on and off, on and off, again for about 15 to 20 seconds but it still remaind on zero. Is this the right way to use it?

Cheers

Mike

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bump see above

Cheers

Mike