Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1.2 Nova Strobe Timing Settings

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 1.2 Nova Strobe Timing Settings

Tried to search but not coming up with anyting, Does anyone have a HBOL or Autodata & can give me the strobe timing degrees & RPM for a 1985 1.2 Nova.

Alan...

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not on me, but 4-6 degrees before TDC would be a start. From there you would be able to make fine adjustments by ear. Any marginal detonation is more likely to set in July/August time, however, cos of the ambient. super unleaded would allow a bit more but there's the price to pay at the pump obviously.

My memory is slightly fuzzy on this, but i think vaux of this vintage have marks at 4,8 and 12 BTDC, which you can dab with tippex, aim somewhere in the middle and go from there

It's kind of nice that you have an '85 car that hasn't disintegrated yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haynes manual should have the settings. An 85 Nova wont strictly be suited to lead free petrol, so bear this in mind, though it wasnt a prob on mine back in the day.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its 10 degrees i think, and the rpm i usualy go as low as i can get away with whilst its still running smooth, usually around 850 rpm depending on the health of the engine.

you might wanna get the fueling done at the same time, as messing with the timing and idle will offset it (not much tho, u can get away without).
    Last edited by jimbob-mcgrew; 04-03-10 at 12:50 PM.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good point.

It is technically a '98 RON or greater' engine and if the Cav 1.6SH unit of the same type and compression is anything to go by it will be much happier on super unleaded in the range 97-99 RON. Even if the ignition is retarded slightly to compensate for 95 fuel they are inclined to 'run on' after shut down in the hot weather. Rather unhealthy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if the gm engine number had an * in it, then it was designed with unleaded in mind..... all 1.2 novas are fine on u/l

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies lads, sorry it was a while but I didn't receive an email to say I had replies, even though set up for instant notification.

Anyway we have played a little & it's running a lot better, not quite right yet but we will endure. Interesting thought on the leaded/unleadd front I used to drive a Cavalier 1.8SRi on a C plate when it was 3 years old & that went into Vauxhall to be retimed when unleaded came out.

As to running round in a '85 5 door Nova with 32K on the clock, it's in remarkable condition for the age. It's not great but I've seen cars a lot newer rot completely away by now. I think my son is only the 4th owner & the last 3 have been in the last 2 years, an old couple had it just to go shopping, day trips etc, he then died & she then only used it one day a week to go to the shops. On her death it was sold/given to a young girl as her first car, she had it for about 18 months, got a job & got a newer car. My lads mate bought it, ran it round for 4 months until it had 2 bald tyres, so he parked it up. It ran out of MOT so my lad got it, he took it for a test, it failed on rear brakes, side lights (front) & NS repeater not working. Both rear cylinders were leaking, so 2x new cylinders, new shoes, new pads in front & 3 bulbs & it flew through.

Alan...

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Now you will have brakes that bite, they feel rather poor when the drums are full of fluid)

As Mowgli says they are designed with unleaded in mind- (correct steel valve inserts) however given the choice i have usually given a bit more advance on the timing and run super u/l in the 97-99 range.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you read the book, all there bhp and touque clames are with ron 98 fuel

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed... I do use 95

(but only for fiestas, lawnmowers and general solvent..!)