Hertfordshire..... Builds: ......... Snowplough'd LET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers DJ

Senior User
    Cudworth, Barnsley, South Yorks. Drives: Nova 2.0 16v hatch.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep it up mate love the colour of the car those shafts should be with you soon too so thats another step closer to the finish .

Gold Club Member# 001 Club Member Nova_Tek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Damen, the shafts were one of my main concerns as I never saw much of them on sale. They are now ticked so another essential part of the build sorted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update time...

23/03/10

It was time to get a move on, went and discussed with the bodyshop and I gave them a deadline for the car to be completed to which they agreed.

24/03/10

Thought I'd make a start on cleaning and refurb/painting the bits that I received from fellow PNG members.

O/S engine mount fabricated by total_vauxhall (good job mate)

22 Spline GTE Shafts from Damen

Bosch 2.0 Fuel pump, M-Tech gearbox spacer & GTE/GSi Rear ARB from Colin

The mount was mint so obviously that needed no attention but the shafts and bits from Colin were a tad grubby, so I set off into the garage from some power tool fun.

Started off with the easiest part, the M-Tech gearbox spacer. Gave it a good clean with some washing up liquid, then a light rub down with some very fine wet n dry to remove the tougher dirt and polished it up with some t-cut.

Still has some slight corrosion around the mount holes but no biggie, still looks clean.

^ Vaux Technology … V-TEC?? ^

The rear ARB was next on the list as that was quite flakey and dirty. Attacked it with a power drill with a wire brush attachment. It was going well but after a while didn't seem to cut through the paint very well. So I flicked the rotation direction to counter clockwise and boy did it shift the crap off it.

After some power tools treatment

Couple coats of acid etch primer

Let that dry for a bit......................................

Then I thought I'd smooth it out a bit with some filler primer and once that had dried, it was time to give it some good few coats of enamel black. I chose this as it's a very tough wearing finish, which can be easily recoated and has a rubbery feel to it.

Let it dry off in the garage overnight.

Was gonna attack the shafts and give them a good clean but, all that paint made me a bit high so I thought I'd leave it for another day.

Today I will be cleaning up the shafts and the fuel pump.
    Last edited by Nova_Tek; 06-05-20 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Image rehosting

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good progress tek, cant wait to see the fresh paint on this!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Coming together Mr Tek It's amazing what a fresh lick of paint does to second hand goodies. Could do with doing that on a few bits on mine really.

Looking forward to seeing the car get a fresh lick of paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks lads, sure is amazing what a few quid of decent paint & a wire brush does to rusty bits.

Just about to go start working on the shafts. They're only grubby, so a clean, light rub down with wet n dry and some lovely sliver Hammerite should make them look mint again.

I assume it's only best to paint the dirty areas of the shafts (if you look at the pic).

Off to sort them out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good work fella!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YESTERDAY

So I started cleaning up the shafts, at first I thought it was just a bit of road dirt, grease, but soon found out that wet n dry and a cloth weren't going to clean anything... so out came the drill and wire brush again. They were nowhere near as bad as the rear ARB and the wire brush cleaned them up rather swiftly.

Long shaft

Once that was cleaned up, I masked it up and started giving it some coats of Hammerite direct to metal paint.

Between coats I went back to the shorter shaft and cleaned that up, it took no time at all

Before masking it up, I went back to the other shaft and gave it another coat of Hammerite. Once finished coating it I returned to the shorter shaft, masked that up and got it ready for painting.

I alternated between the two shafts and once I had applied 3/4 coats of paint I put them aside to set.

I then started on the fuel pump. Again, wasn't too dirty just needed a quick clean. I undid all the rusty jubilee clips (one had actually snapped whilst unscrewing it), removed the fatter rubber hose and then the smaller rubber hose.... oops! Dunno how or why but as I pulled off the rubber hose from the smaller end I also pulled off half the nipple where the hose clamps on to It will now mean I have to improvise a connection so that it doesn't leak

Cleaned up the pump then thought 'hmm why not give it a light coat of silver'. 'Tis what I did.

Unfortunately, no pic of the pump as my camera is really doing my head in.

I left the pump and shafts overnight in the warm garage for them to harden. With some fresh batteries I shall be taking some after shots of them.

Plans for today: clean up the bolts for the rear ARB and gearbox spacer (although for the rear ARB I'm consideringg actually getting a new set of nuts and bolts as they are fused with rust) and probably go visit the bodyshop and strip the engine bay further to remove as mush as poss.

Oh and as I had forgot to put these up previously on the thread I thought I'd do it now:

Mocal oil cooler

More switch-a-roos. These will be used for the heated screen and manual cooling fan override.

Last edited by Nova_Tek; 06-05-20 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Image rehosting

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the finished product (please excuse the blurry photo looked great on a 2" screen)

Last edited by Nova_Tek; 07-05-20 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Image rehosting