Gold Club Member# 001 Club Member Nova_Tek's Avatar
    Hertfordshire..... Builds: ......... Snowplough'd LET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update

Had a spare couple hours so I went and finished off the fuel rail I started a few updates ago.

Tried my best to clean it up and it ended like this

And then gave it a few coats of the usual VHT Aluminium silver paint and it ended up like this

(pics aren't great as I had to use the phone)

I then thought I'd quickly see how all that wiring has come out by testing things. Connected up a battery I borrowed from the Cav.
    Alarm works fine, cd player/speakers/amp work fine, the rear wiper stalk needs going over as it doesn't work exactly how it should. Have an odd problem with some of the little dash illumination bulbs staying on when the battery is connected and headlamps don't come on for a reason but everything else is ok. I know that a few switches/plugs were removed and put back so I'm assuming the faults are there. Need me some days off work to get back into the vibe of wiring
    Last edited by Nova_Tek; 17-05-20 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Image rehosting

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update

Spent some time on the Nova today. First emptied the tank of fuel, it filled up two jerry cans to the brim... and got a fair bit on the floor, on my gloves and down my sleeve so I thought it's be a great time to have a smoke Don't worry I don't smoke!

After a late lunch, I went back and started to investigate why more than half the electrics weren't working properly and tried to sus out how to wire up the rear wiper to the stalk. Using the multimeter, I tested each free terminal on the back of the stalk to see which does what when switched on, and then tried each wire individually till I got the desired operation. Finally sussed it out and have got the rear wiper working from the stalk (Cav Mk3 hatchback wiper stalk) looks like one wire isn't actually needed.

I then plugged in the rear clusters, and checked the operation of all the electrics. Managed to sort out some of the gremlins that have occurred (mainly coz some stuff wasn't connected and coz of that had undesired affect on the operation of things). So it's looking good. Need to just wire up the perm live to the boot popper and if I'm not mistaken everything will be done and working (bar the engine loom).

The fuel rail has dried and looks spot on together with the inlet all assembled.
    Wanted to ask if there was a way of cleaning injectors? While they are out I thought I'd give them a clean (if there's a home-made method) and get them back on the rail.
    Last edited by Nova_Tek; 17-05-20 at 10:20 PM. Reason: No image to rehost oops

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

glad youre making the inside all slick and factory looking with that rear wiper stalk. very nice touch buddy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks pal, it's so much more practicle too. Will never need to reach over to the toggle switch, it's all at the finger tips so to speak.

The interior, I hope, will end up looking fairly OE with a few added enhancements, but at the moment it looks like a bomb's gone off, stuff everywhere.

Need a garage like yours mate with plenty of room, mine's getting way too crowded to do anything

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a nova always needs enhancements, other wise who would own a nova? .

fortunately i got 2, so the car has one and the other all the crap! its great when you start building the car back up because you start getting more room where you been storing parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are lucky with two, to much crap in mine and most of the crap isn't even mine so I can't just go chuck it or brun it. Makes the big tasks that bit more difficult to work on.

Really need a pit of some sort, or a 2 poster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update

Haven't had much time on the Nova since the last update. Weather has been blitz, the two days I off were spent sorting out the Cav's cooling system and what not.

I found some time in the afternoon to go back and complete some bits in the Nova. Garage was fairly cold so the electric heater came in very handy.

It had been a while since I last was doing some wiring. I wanted to connect up the popper to see if it worked. Done the usual crimping and soldering of connections and I know it was gonna be simple; one wire to earth and one to live, but I sat for 10 minutes or so trying to figure out how to wire up the popper to the rear wiper toggle switch (as that was now redundant) so I can operate it using that when it's in the washer jet position. Sat and thought about it and then it hit me. Connected it up and ta daa... it worked!

Well chuffed, got it in one and even the polarity was right. Such a satisfying sight seeing the boot open on it's own. Now it's a case of flicking the switch to on and pushing the switch up for a split second and pop!

Wired up the speakers into the passenger door, all that was fine and put back most interior trim bar a couple bits. Only odd thing I saw was the dash lights. They would constantly be on very dim when the door is shut i.e. interior light is off. Open the door and they go off. Stick the headlights on and they light up full as they should. Really cannot, for the life of me, think why they would do that especially as I didn't really mess with the original loom. Must be a rogue wire or earth.

Need to buy a few in-line fuses and a relay for the heated front screen and then the interior is done

Oh... sorry for the lack of pics

Senior User
    Cudworth, Barnsley, South Yorks. Drives: Nova 2.0 16v hatch.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to see an update tek did you get the C.V's sorted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Na mate, have totally forgotten about them Think I need to drop some hints for a xmas present.

Had so much shizzle on my plate that I've forgotten what I need to buy. Will be getting the turbo and engine loom this month.

Senior User
    Cudworth, Barnsley, South Yorks. Drives: Nova 2.0 16v hatch.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Tek
    Na mate, have totally forgotten about them Think I need to drop some hints for a xmas present.

Had so much shizzle on my plate that I've forgotten what I need to buy. Will be getting the turbo and engine loom this month.
    May be able to sort you a loom tek if you want me to find out as i think my mate has one.