Gold Club Member# 001 Club Member Nova_Tek's Avatar
    Hertfordshire..... Builds: ......... Snowplough'd LET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UPDATE

Well... apart from yesterday and me being able to spend a few hours doing stuff it's been a disappointing week. Only thing I've been able to do is sit and wait for parts and even those aren't turning up.

Waiting for the other half of the tap set to arrive. A bit of a balls up at the seller end meant I got a die set and not a tap set. Soon as that arrives I can drill a hole in the diff plate and tap a thread to accept a bolt.

I did manage to spend a few hours to clean up the gearbox yesterday. What a PITA that was. So many nooks and crannies I had difficulty cleaning. In the end I just about did enough to get it clean and gave it a couple coats of Hammerite. Good thing too as about 30 mins later it was pishing it down. I let it dry overnight and it now looks like this

(You'll have to excuse the way it has been the photos have been taken, couldn't take it out as it's raining)

Once dry, a bit of good weather will allow me to fit the new seals and gaskets.

These also turned up this morning

57mm - 51mm 90 degree reducers for the IC. They'll need a fair bit of cutting down so the fit in the small amount of space left either side of the IC. Is it just these or do all silicone hoses smell like the blue blocks that they use in urinals?

That, I'm afraid, is all for now. Really wanna get this project sorted just need a bit of good weather damn it!
    Last edited by Nova_Tek; 23-05-20 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Image rehosting

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Box looks great, silicone smells funny yes.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Senior User
    Manchester Drives: 911 Carrera 2, MR2 Roadster turbo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need to cut the lug off the bottom of your gearbox to stop it fouling on the tie bar. Can see it in the bottom right of your picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would that be the lug between the two bolts?

ok... was just making sure. Kinda adictive... found myself sniffing it a fair few times

Box does look good but a couple places had some running in the paint... meh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woooo... finally one of the items I ordered has finally arrived...

Wonder what it is...

Oh yeah... spanking new Valeo XE/LET clutch kit which includes the friction plate, pressure plate, bearing and 3 little metal brackets? Avoided going for cheap ebay ones I've never heard of.

Tomorrow I'll check to make sure it fits the gearbox/fly ok. Hopefully I'll get my thread tap kit so I can sort out the diff plate.
    Last edited by Nova_Tek; 23-05-20 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Image rehosting

Hull, East Yorkshire. Drives: Vectra V6 'rusty bus'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Tek View Post
    Would that be the lug between the two bolts?

Yes, take it back as far as you can/dare, i forgot mine completely and got a horrible grinding noise through the front end after i lowered the front to match the back

Still catches a little bit as you cant get fully in with a grinder while its on the car, ive sectioned a piece of thick water pipe onto the tiebar using tiewraps to hold it for now to cushion it till i can get the bar off and get the last little bit off

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers... I've got many mini cutting discs for the dremmel tool, so I should be able to trim that back rather nicely and flush it so it's level with the rest of the box. Should be able to do that tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UPDATE

Finally got what I was waiting for

10.2 Drill bit and M12 Thread Tap

I got the other set earlier in the week but wanted to have a M12 sized hole so draining oil would be a tad quicker.

I first checked that the clutch would fit the gearbox... and it did, so all is well with that.

I then moved on to sorting the diff plate. First made sure that I was going to pick the correct place to drill the hole. Has to be the lowest point so all the oil will drain out. The plate had a circular marking on the inside. Most likely a casting mark. After a bit of checking, it seemed that the circular mark was pretty much bang on lowest point. So out came the drill and bit and a hole was made. Drilling the hole took seconds, the alloy seemed fairly soft and didn't put up much of a fight. Then came out the M12 tap and I slowly cut the thread into the plate. The plate is thick enough to cut a decent amount of thread... well enough for a screw to hold on well (approx 3 - 4 lines of thread).

Now came the task of finding a screw/bolt in the garage that would fit. Found a few but some had different thread pitch/dimensions. The tap I used was M12 x 1.75. Found another bolt that fit perfect. Was a bit on the long side (longer than a gearbox bell housing to block bolt) but I can cut it down to size. Need to get a decent washer or two. I tightened the bolt right up and it tightens well. Next came the leak test. Poured a whole load of WD40 into the plate and it didn't leak either. I then gave the whole thing a good going over with the drill/wire brush to get rid of any small bits of metal and as a general clean. Job done!

Picture of a bolt screwed into it

Hopefully tomorrow I should get the gearbox seals & gaskets fitted bar the diff plate as my mate will be changing over the current diff for a replacement one (due to a bit of damage). I'll be at work though so will miss all the fun
    Last edited by Nova_Tek; 23-05-20 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Image rehosting