Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1104

Thread: Project: Gold Snowplough Turbo

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Superchips will be the equivalent of Phase One - so 240 ish. Courteney used to supply them

Gold Club Member# 001 Club Member Nova_Tek's Avatar
    Hertfordshire..... Builds: ......... Snowplough'd LET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers Will F, I'll probably get rid of them. I doubt they'd make use of the work on the LET. Chips seem to be hard to get hold of so might go down the route of a re-map if I can fond someone who can reprogram the standard chips. I'd rather have a custom map or a top notch chip. But this is probably the last thing I'd need to do and I'll decide when I'm closer to it

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah - i'd only go with genuine EDS chips with the switches tbh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Will F View Post
    Yeah - i'd only go with genuine EDS chips with the switches tbh
    Yeah I'm asking a mate of mine who had a Calibra DTM, he had a chip and switchable map, but he doesn't recall who did them. I see EDS still do these for 599 euro, however.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update

Had a bit of time to myself today (about 8 minutes worth ), continued with checking things out to get a handle on things that may be needed.

Had a look at the head

Checked the inlet ports

And the exhaust port

Is it me or has this been ported? When comparing the exhaust port to the inlet port, the inlet deffo looks untouched and this looks like it's been modified.

Next was the turbo, I never took it apart so I had to see what state it was in. It took hours to remove the manifold nuts, and even once they were all off it was fused to the manifold, I had to use brute force to get it off.

Let's just say it's not in a useable condition The turbine doesn't freely spin, seems to grind against the heat shield shroud and sounds very crusty. There's also some end float so it needs a desperate freshen up. Anyway here's the rest:

Problem I can see is trying to find the correct/quality refurb parts for the turbo, or just get a replacement. Need to raid the web for info. The budget won't stretch to a different turbo and a new/custom manifold at the moment. If in the years to come I do, then internals will be able to handle it, but until then it'll be the K16.

The shopping list is now:

- Turbo (replacement/refurb)
    - ARP fastenings (flywheel/head studs & nuts/rod bolts)
    - Oil squirters and block modification... as well as the bits I mentioned earlier:

- Bigger brakes (Vectra B 308mm)
    - Bigger wheels (something different maybe 17")
    - LSD
    - Uprated rods
    - Headwork while it's out (if needed)
    - EDS chips.

I'm also considering ceramic coating on the standard manifold and turbo housing, have read good reviews about it.

When it comes to head gaskets, I already have a Victor Reinz composite head gasket and the rest of a head set, but will it be able to handle power of 300 bhp? I don't need to lower compression in any way as the pistons are 1mm oversized and low comp.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That exhaust port definitely looks like its has some type of sanding drum down it, although nothing major as you can still see the casting mark's.
    Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by totalnova View Post
    That exhaust port definitely looks like its has some type of sanding drum down it, although nothing major as you can still see the casting mark's.
    Nick
    Cheers totalnova, yeah I wasn't sure how effective it was, for the reasons you said. I've never attempted a port or polish, so not sure about doing it in order to finish off what has been started. Would be great to learn but don't feel like looking for another head (due to bodging it), especially after this one has had some prior work done to it. Will need to find a reliable person to do the polishing.

While we're on the subject of port and polishing, any benefits to smooothing out ports on the manifold? I've seen in the past people (yanks) doing this on boosted engines. I have 2 manifolds so wouldn't mind having a go on that especially if it helps even in the smallest way.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have only just seem your message, still supplying parts, still building engines, still have the same phone number.
    I have replied to your message (three weeks late)
    The most reliable specification is bored, skimmed, oil jetted block, skimmed pressure tested head oil gallery sleeved if not coscast, uprated single valve springs,INA lifters, set of my Omega pistons which you have, steel rods, arp head stud kit, arp main cap stud kit, arp flywheel bolts, TTV billet flywheel all cleaned checked and rebuilt with new gaskets, bearings, belt kit and water pump, after that cams and vernier pulleys, but if on a budget, leave the cams and verniers put the money towards and aftermarket ecu and engine loom, something like MBE or DTA

Thanks

Steve
    Last edited by steveboyslim; 03-07-20 at 07:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting back to me (I got your PM). I'll give you a call over the weekend regarding what I'd like to get done.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any time you like.

Steve