0 Thread(s)

This is nice. Like the colour scheme

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks great. Not tempted to do the lower part of the front bumper grey to match the rear and skirts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ASH GSI View Post
    It's a really stunning example, good work
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by CorsaTR2p View Post
    Nice work in you Nova, i have read the entire post, incredible restoration !!

Regards.

Cheers, its no where near mint but it'll do for now.

Quote Originally Posted by torquey View Post
    Looking really nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Benn View Post
    Looking great, love the wheel colour. Why did you not paint he inside of the wheel?
    When I bought and painted the wheels myself a couple years ago, I painted the inside black and the face red. Didn't see the point in painting the inside grey as its a dark colour already and wont really be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by 7ova View Post
    Ive always been a fan of dark wheels but yours look great against the blue with the little touch of red, caliper and cage.
    Great work Bruce
    I was tempted years ago to paint my softstars dark grey but as they were in such good condition I couldn't justify it. I loved the red wheels and would more than likely do another set red, but the calipers clashed with them, the grey does look awesome though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shamish82 View Post
    This is nice. Like the colour scheme
    Thanks, I think the red adds an extra dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by krobinson View Post
    Looks great. Not tempted to do the lower part of the front bumper grey to match the rear and skirts?
    I was tempted once upon a time, mainly due to other comments about it, but I do like the look with out it grey. I've never set out to keep it completely original, just going with what I like the look of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

update (excuse the bad phone pics)

I managed to get a few days off a couple of weeks ago to do some more work to the nova, hopefully getting it somewhere near to bring to PVS.

I trailered it over to work so I could take advantage of the ramps and work shop facilities.

First of all I wanted to tackle the rear gearbox mount, as my gearbox already has one heli-coiled hole and one hole broken off (please see a few pages back for that fix), I wanted to strengthen it up some more as ive seen some f28's rip them selves apart from the torque.

I made a plate to bolt to the rear of the gearbox, then I tacked it onto the nova mount. I also tacked all the conversion spacers to the mount as this will save time on assembly any time I take it off.
    I then removed the mount completely and welded it all together.

Realistically I wanted to triangulate the red shaded portion, unfortunately I couldn't do this as my one mount bolt goes all the way through the casing and has a nut on the back side. I wouldn't be able to get a spanner on it If i was to cover it up.

After that was finished I started to make a new scuttle cover, my original from a few years ago was made from hard board and covered in faux leather. My boss had some plastic sheet left over as he makes his autograss arches out of this stuff.

Cut out the rough shape with tin snips and then covered it again with faux leather.

Next on the list was tracking, as I didn't want to scratch my cesaros I popped on some old wheels. Reppin the GTE steels.

The car is silly low at the moment and I wouldn't intend use it on track as it is, I adjusted the track to where it had to be. The other figures I'm taking with a pinch of salt and Ill try adjust those at a later date when I plan to use the car. The rears another story as I was hoping they would be some where near the same but the nearside has a degree of more camber. Yet again the rear is fairly low too, so the angles will change when its adjusted up.

A lot more items have been fettled with but I never took any photos, I gave the car a hell of clean ready for PVS. Clayed, polished, waxed, vacuumed etc etc.

On the way home I took it to a local quarry and cheekily weighed it, it sure is a fat bxstard!

Last edited by brucer; 14-05-16 at 06:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since then ive taken the engine and dash looms back out, a) to tidy/shorten them and b) to try solve my management problems.

When I bought the management, its always had 2 fault codes stored for the front lambda heater circuit and the rear boost control solenoid.

I stripped some of the loom back and done a lot of continuity checks and I'm quite satisfied that no wires are broken, I had found that the one heater wire for the front lambda was actually on the rear lambda.(not running a rear lambda) A cut and resolder of both wires has hopefully solved that one.

Going back and forth to the wiring diagram shows the rear boost control solenoid wire goes into plug A (dash loom) pin 50. The dash loom plug doesn't even have a pin in no.50. I couldn't find any more wiring diagrams and the only info I could find about the rear bcs was on a corsa c forum. The Rear bcs isn't part of the engine loom on the z-let, for some strange reason its part of the start/charge loom. Although I had the one wire found on the engine loom (thanks to the corsa c page), I didn't know where it went, I continuity checked all pins on the ECU connector and it turns out its pin no.50 on this plug, plug B. Autodata sucks balls!!!!!

As per the corsa page, you take your rear bcs plug and 2 wires, wire the one to pin no.50 and the other to a black live wire from the ecu. As some may know, a mod on the z-let is to bypass the rear bcs but leave it plugged into avoid a fault code. Instead of buying the wiring and the solenoid I went to maplin and bought the correct resistor to solder inline to trick the ecu.

A common item on the z-let's are the AFM, MAP and coolant sensors earth playing up. 4 small earths connect together through a crimp and has been known to play up, as I had the loom out I couldn't just leave this due to it being a potential failure in the future.

Jobbed!

Both looms taped up again and ready to be tested out.

Plans are to go do some more on the car tomorrow, so another update will up before PVS.

Thanks for looking.

Bruce
    Last edited by brucer; 14-05-16 at 06:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update.

The novas back up and running, the fault codes are now gone after my wiring mods. Only downside is that the engine sounds like it has piston slap. I think this is due to the fueling being mega rich, washing the bores and wearing them out. Looks like the motors got to come back out. :-(

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, that dont sound good.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

update

It's been quite a period with out an update, not much to ramble on about except for attending a couple of shows which some of you had experienced your selves.

Pvs was the first show in 3 years that I've taken the nova too, with it being in pieces most of the time it was a great delight to show it off again. The weather wasn't the greatest and it did put a downer on the day as there wasn't any strip action, but enjoying people walking past and admiring the car felt awesome.

A bit of BCD action and my sons name on the Red Victor 3 race car.

And then the 3 hour journey home, pxssing it down.

The plans were to attend billing but the clutch in my Vectra had started to slip which put me out of the game towing the nova around, with retro rides lurking I had to fix it, so a LUK flywheel and clutch were ordered and fitted them the weekend before the show.

I hadn't touched the nova since PVS, a quick jump start and popped it on the trailer to take to work so I could clean it again.

Beeeaaaaadddddddssssssss yo! This is just from the PVS prep!

So fresh and so clean.

Last edited by brucer; 15-09-16 at 10:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the next day (saturday), rain. I don't think shows like me.

But, sunday was bright and gay, benn was loitering at the gates.

Repping the club.

A lot of dodgy novas on the club stand.

I'll finish up with a picture of the engine as it was a few days ago, pistons are now out and I'll be taking the block and box out soon.

Thanks for looking.