Gold Club Member# 001 Club Member Nova_Tek's Avatar
    Hertfordshire..... Builds: ......... Snowplough'd LET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nova_stee View Post
    check strap on a mk2 are welded to the pillar and have a pin you knock out like the door hinge mk1s bolt on
    I'll need to check mine... can't remember if it's welded or bolted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking top sir!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the comments.

update

more progress in the right direction with this update, i recently moved to a place that has a good sized garage that i could work on the nove in. will benefit me as i can work on the car when i feel and not have to drive 13miles to do so.

i wanted to make the novas new home nice to work in so i painted the floor, helps with dust and much nicer to lie on if need be.

the garage started to get filled with junk, as per, but hopefully sorting it out soon. bought myself a new toolbox as mine was too small. a tool sales chap who comes round in his lorry had a top box for sale cheap as it was a cash deal slightly damaged box. the only damage was on the lid and it will be open most the time so didnt bother me.

asked a friend to bring the nova over for me, so kind. we got it on the trailer, this one with a tilt bed on....(old picture)

only to notice there was fuel leaking from somewhere, upon closer inspection it was coming from the top side of the tank. how? i couldnt tell you, the tank had been shot blasted and powdercoated so there was a chance it made pin holes in it. so this meant i would have to remove the tank.

but, got the car to my new place and tucked away.

a few days later i thought i best had do some work to it, with the motor not running AGAIN i delved into it. i had it running when i had the loom placed on top of the engine and ever since i fitted it correctly it wouldnt start. no fuel was present at the rail, i checked for a feed at the pump and i had 12volts. i swapped the pump for another new one i had and the feed from the tank in a jerry can so i new it had petrol. cranked over and the it started. good start to the day.

once i was happy i set about modifying the exhaust, im sure i said in a previous post about it coming out the bumper wrong. i rotated the exhaust joint to come out at the right point, then marked where the hanging bracket needed to be cut and welded back on. this is on hold at the moment as ive tacked it in place and havnt had chance to try it back on as the middle section isnt fitted.

after that it was time to remove the tank, the middle section of exhaust had to be taken off, easy you may think, far from it. the bloke who made the exhaust at powerflow made the downpipe to middle section sleeve joint too long, so trying to slide the middle section off would result in it hitting the beam and not going any further. drop the beam off the shock bolts? tried it, no more room. cut a small bit of the downpipe whilst on the car? tred it, got half way through. take the downpipe off? jesus wept. had to do that in the end, half hour removal of the tank turned into 2hrs of messing around.

either way the tank was out moments after. the fuel is seeping out of the top half, wipe it clean and seconds later it comes back through.

i asked a local radiator/tank repairer to give me a rough guess of a cost to repair it, was half the price of a new tank. i didnt think it was worth it as i couldnt guarentee it wouldnt happen again. ordered a new tank from imperial, the gte tank was on back order but got one ordered anyway. arrived today in bare metal, will sort out some paint and get it sprayed up.

also received a set of black mats shaped for the novas floor for a perfect fit.

ordered up some new bolts for the steering wheel as last time i had the car out 4/5years ago i only ever had 4 bolts.

hopefully buying a small trailer from my boss this week which will mean i can take the car to shows and not worry if it blows up. havnt got a towing car yet so my red gte will have to go unfortunately.

thats where im upto at the moment, the weekend may bring some more joy if the weather perks up.

thanks for looking.

bruce

Senior User Club Member scorge01's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking good mate always loved seeing progress on this thing
    How much will your red gte be going up for?

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking good, really want a let for mine when i get it

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paint the garage walls, gets the dust right down. Coming on really well, nice work getting a new tank.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Gold Club Member# 001 Club Member Nova_Tek's Avatar
    Hertfordshire..... Builds: ......... Snowplough'd LET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That garage looks nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

update

not much of an update, things have slowed down with the project but progress is still occuring.

got it together enough the take it for a test drive up my road, bit of clanging and banging from the back end made me stop and go back. turned out the rear tyres were rubbing the coilover springs, i happened to have some 6mm spacers to hand so fitted them and took it for another test drive, doesnt rub the springs now but rubs the arches ever so slightly. ordered up some 3mm spacers which solved the problem all together, painted them red to blend in with the drum..

im running eds phase 2 chips, which happened to come with my ecu, so i had to sort out the fuelling. i had my standard yellow injectors cleaned and tested a while back meaning i didnt fancy swapping them to saab reds. especially if i wanted to up the power later on the only way to go was an adjustable fuel reg.

i looked about for a bit to find a reasonably priced adjustable FPR as im on a tight budget now, i kept looking back at the one TX autosport sell, ive got a few bits of theres on my engine and the quality is top notch. i gave them a call and asked a few questions to get some insight. they had only just got them back in stock but didnt have any fuel hose to go with the kit, they gave me a tenner off and free postage so wasnt too bad a deal.

trying to find some where to fit it was puzzling, i didnt want to make up brackets or make it too complicated fo something so simple. i came up with the plan to mount it to the inlet manifold where there was small off casting.

replaced the standard fuel reg with the blank and re-routed the fuel lines, ran the car up and adjusted the fuel pressure.(with the vacuum off and blocked)

i gave the inside a clean as i havnt done it since ive put it all together, heres a few pics.

gauges all working