Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do i put a 2.0 engine into MY nova?!

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How do i put a 2.0 engine into MY nova?!

Right, just to start i'll let you know i'm pretty **** with cars when it comes to mechanics, i just let the garage do everything for me. So any replies anyone has to offer please treat me dumb, because i am when it comes to my car knowledge.

I've got a 1.2 nova merit, 5 door 1988. Ive seen all over the place that you can get a 2.0 redtop engine into a nova but i know you need to change a laod of other stuff as well. So if i was to buy a doner car like an astra, would it be possible to get all the bits i need off that then take them all down the garage with my nova and say "please make my car faster mr mechanic". Or would they laugh at me and say piss off do it yourself?

I realise it would be a really costly job, but i'll deal with that hurdle when i get there i just want my nova faster.

Am i dreaming an unforseeable dream..?

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hello mate you will find all the answers on" how to "on here with regards to fitting a redtop into your nova, i wud personally buy a complete redtop and gearbox make sure it has complete wiring loom and ecu, you only then need to sort out wich driveshaft option your going to use, then simply buy a front engine mount, if car is in for a hard life its more than advisable to stitch weld up the engine bay to cope with the bit extra weight and power.chassis leg mod required. you arent too far from me if you get all the parts id do the work for ya no problems.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read the articles section. I'm not trying to be nasty, but alot of the info is in there so read it first.

A donor car will not provide you with all of the parts, but it would be better than buying just an engine, as the donor car would donate bigger brakes etc.

edit- gaz has it covered

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buy a ready built 2.0 nova, it will be considerably cheaper than buying all the parts and paying mechanics labour wages to fit it

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cheers for info, and sorry for putting this in wrong section... oops.

so i need:
    redtop engine
    gearbox to match
    front engine mount
    driveshaft
    bigger brakes

I wouldnt have the foggiest idea how you know if it has complete wiring loom and ecu though, as i said i know little about car mechanics.
    Dont really know what you mean by 'driveshaft option', fill me in!
    And are bigger brakes a must, or just really a safety issue?
    Annnd whats a chasis leg mod?
    Sorry, i really dont know much about cars at all haha.

Where abouts you at gaz, cos any help at all (if i do go ahead with this) would be much appreciated!!!!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

again as stated by the lads above you also need to modify suspension and brakes along with an exaust system. . . .oh and then evryones favourite part
    INSURANCE. and if you look around can pick sum cheap nova valvas up but at end of day if you like your car and want to valva that then i say go for it as alwas better and a good buzz seeing the work being done on your own car and good fun converting them from start to finish and seeing the big difference in all aspects.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for drive shafts on a nova you have 2 options mate, either use nova gte 22 spline shafts with mk2 cavalier 1.6 inner cv joints this allows use of big block gearbox and your original hubs and outer cv joints. or other option is fat shafts or motorsport shafts wich are bigger and stronger but also need machined hubs for the larger outer cv joints.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im in durham pal, send an email to
    colinesmith@aol.com
    he will im sure give you a price on parts for evrything you need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No offence but if your not hugely familiar with cars then a xe conversion i wouldn't attempt....
    If its a 1200 then start with a 1.4 or 1.6 swap.

Also check insurance quotes BEFORE swapping the engine.

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oooooo this is suddenly sounding a hell of a lot more complicated than i first thought. Im a complete newbie (even tho ive had my nova for a year now...) and im probably goin into the deep end a bit here.

Maybe i will just find one n buy it when ever money allows!

Actually ill email that address youve given me just to find out. Try i might, dont i wont!