Thread: Nova GTE - turbo

User
    Leamington Building V Quick & Low 17'd 8v GSiiiiiii And Driver of B@rge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your right Chris. That Microswitch Courtenay they fit is a bit dodgey!!! I've got a GSi Turbo which I had to have a full engine rebuild on because that switch broke and caused the engine to run very very lean. As a result detonation occured and cracked two pistons whilst the other two broke into pieces. That 150bhp at 12psi doesn't seem very good Mine is making 161bhp at 8.5psi, but it does have a CS15 head on it.

Bromley, Kent Drives: Mazda 323F Building: Mental Beetle
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neil,
    The 150bhp is a pure guess, it's never been on the rolling road! We're guessing the power from how it compares with other novas. When it ran at Santapod for the novaload day it recorded a 15.5sec 1/4 mile, only missed beating the courtenay converted car by about 0.15secs, and that had flowed head, lightend flywheel, balanced bottom end and water injection, so I think the power figure is about right. Have you run a 1/4 mile in yours, if so what time did you get as I'd be interested in a comparison

Thanks for your input, it's not just be that thinks it's a bodge then! How have you sorted it out now, have you just bought a replacement, or have you got mapable ignition on there aswell now? One thing I would advise for any tuned engine is a Air Fuel Ratio gauge, as this might have given you a bit of notice that your car wasn't running right and might have saved you the rebuild!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,
    I have a e16se turbo converted by courtenay too. I was wondering what spark plugs u guys use? Also has there ever been one of these that run more boost like more than 14 psi?

Matty

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just use Champion Copper Core ones on mine, and they run fine.

As for running more than 14psi, I don't know of any that do, I know of someone who said he thought his one would run 25 psi, but he sold the car before he could try it (The reason he didn't do it before was the car was running in after a rebuild, and he had fitted low comp. pistons).

Chris

User
    Leamington Building V Quick & Low 17'd 8v GSiiiiiii And Driver of B@rge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly I use Splitfire Triple platium things in mine as there mean't to be a cooler grade plug which i've been told is better for Turbos.
    I have water Injection ready to go on the engine which Courtenay said I could boost 10PSi with safely. The best bit about water injection though is that apart from being safer for the engine and keeping it cooler, you can advance the timing loads which gives at around a 10bhp increase. If you reckon your running yours Chris with 12PSi and its alright then I think I might try mine at that when the Water Injection is on.
    I agree about the Air/Fuel ratio meter, it would of saved a lot of time and money. Im going to get one of those Lumination meters ASAP.
    As for the 1/4 mile. I haven't had a chance to test it yet. I was at all the shows last year but each time I had the Actuator disconnected because I had a few minor problems with the engine, that I thought could cost me another rebuild. As it happened it was only a slit in the boost pipework.
    If you've seen the feature on my car, you'll know that the engine is being put into another Nova this year, which will be ready in the next month or so. It will definately go up the strip at PV2003 so i'll see you there. Maybe we could go head to head?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been told that mine should run 14psi, but I don't think I'll try it, I like the engine just as it is now, and I certainly don't wanna rebuild it as I'll be selling the car in a few months!!!
    If I have the car @ PV2003 I'll certainly run against you, but as I said, it's a case of if I have the car by then :?

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,
    Chris how did you lower the compression ratio, machined pistons? Also what custom ecu do you have because I have had enough of the standard air flow meter :evil: .

Matty

=)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I ended up getting a GTE...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cmatty - Read the whole thread as your questions are answered already.

Fester - Collect the parts and do it, you know you wanna! :D 8) :D

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just out of interest how thick is the spacer plate used to lower the compression when u turbo a gte? 3mm + 2 head gaskets? ive never seen this actually on a car and just wondered how thick it would be