Thread: RWD Nova gen please....

Club Member Club Member Pistol Pete's Avatar
    Swindoncestershire Building: A Breeze Blue XE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is someone going a different direction with their coupe build? Or was this always the plan?! I for one will be watching your rebuild if you go through with this!
    My Rebuild

They're over there with their new toys. Someone brought them in. No idea who bought them though.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dod
    Manta B 1800 box and a Manta A back end. Minimal work compaired to Space Framing and an IRS Set up. That said, theres a lot of work in the rear of the car to get it all working. My advice, buy a scrapped Chevette shell to donate the rear floor pan and the majority Transmission tunnel.

I'm against useing the older vauxhall stuff because its not as readily available and not as easy to upgrade. At least using the ford gear quaiffe kits for example aren't overly expensive so there's room for upgrade without havn't to rethink the whole lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete_58
    Is someone going a different direction with their coupe build? Or was this always the plan?! I for one will be watching your rebuild if you go through with this!

The build is still going forward as usual. I've always liked the idea of rwd it but its the cost factor. I want to get it all up an running healthily and have fun with it next year (I missed out this year) then see how things are next autumn when it comes off the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe you will need the RWD sump & oil pickup for your XE. Something from a Manta or OHC Carlton should do the trick.

Sounds like a cool project theough mate & I know you arent one to say something & not do it, so all things considered, you should make it happen.

Seeing it done to a saloon will actually be far nicer than seeing the usual 3-dr, modded to death. The one draw back with Austin's no one has mentioned is the weight. All that tubular steel doesnt do it any favours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont see why a different sump and oil pick up will be needed? Turning the engine through 90 degrees wont change how it works, will it?!
    My Rebuild

They're over there with their new toys. Someone brought them in. No idea who bought them though.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st. A RWD sump will certainly be more suited to the way a GM engine mates with a GM RWD box.

2nd. The depth of the sump is designed to allow for oil movement under acceleration & braking. Turn it 90 degrees & that all goes out the window.

I'm sure there are other factors. But the fact the sump & oil pickup are tailored on RWD engines goes to show it is a consideration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair point. Wont a ford box be used along with a bell housing adaptor plate? I'm not very genned up on what GM rwd boxes will mount to an XE.
    My Rebuild

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True if a FORD box is used, hence why I highlighted about GM rwd boxes.

It all needs to be thought about & researched. I only know that stuff from previous forum discussions about XE'ing Mantas etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craig green
    It all needs to be thought about & researched.

Hence why I'm doin it nearly a year in advance!

I'm in the process of speaking to the right people who know both their vauxhalls and fords so should get somegood gen

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anything can be made if you've got the cash and time! I'd go small blook something so fords are good area you may well need to choop into the fire wall then fabricate a new one tho!

Thedriftworks boys do this sort of thing all the time put a 3JZ lump in a 200sx S15 and moved it back 11" to make for better weight disdribution!

Good luck would love to see the finsihed car!

2.0 8v calton lump and shoten running gear should do the trick in a light nova, my old diplomat manual was plenty tourquey enough, pulling the twin axel caravan up some stupid hill round france!!
    Last edited by ednovasr2; 29-10-08 at 02:40 PM.