PDA

View Full Version : XE running very rich

djshaggeh
16-06-08, 02:17 PM
My XE is running extremely rich. When your fire it up I get a hefty wiff of pertol the whole time its running. Also when you sit at about 1500 revs it really bogs down and will stall if you hold it there.

For some reason my temperature display on the dash isnt working either. Ive checked my wiring and I think the sensor is broken as the CTS had to be replaced as it was damaged badly when the engine was removed from the donor car.

I dont know if these two things are linked? Maybe the engine thinks its cold and is overfuelling?

Any help would be apppreciated :thumb:

Rich
16-06-08, 04:00 PM
Yes its linked if the cts doesnt read correctly it will be putting the wrong amount of fuel in

Will F
16-06-08, 04:33 PM
Indeed, its job is to tell the ECU what temp the engine is at and how much fuel it needs accordingly...

craig green
16-06-08, 05:01 PM
Indeed, its job is to tell the ECU what temp the engine is at and how much fuel it needs accordingly...

'CHOKE' effectively.

Its the best place to start, check the wiring on the CTS plug too. Silly to bolt on a new sensor if the wires are chafed 6 inches further back down the loom.

Paul
16-06-08, 05:11 PM
id say the best place to start would be the fault that the flash codes has brought up?

Dont know why anyone bothers sometimes?

meritlover
16-06-08, 05:12 PM
check there is 5v to earth on one of the pins and continuity between the other pin and earth.
that will prove the wiring.
if

meritlover
16-06-08, 05:15 PM
check theres 5v between one pin and earth, then continuity between the other pin and earth.
this will prove the wiring.
then if your getting 0v between the two pins, the CTS is short circuit. if you get 5v across them its open circuit. anyting else is depending on the resistance change due to temp, calculating this against the temp/resistance table for the CTS will tell you if its operating correctly.

get the meter out

djshaggeh
16-06-08, 06:53 PM
id say the best place to start would be the fault that the flash codes has brought up?

My EML light doesnt seem to like flashing up codes. I have tried earthing out the brown and yellow wire using a switch on various different earthing points.

Dont know why anyone bothers sometimes?

If you cant be bothered then my suggestion is - dont and dont moan :thumb:

I havent got a multi-meter, so Ill go to town tommorow and get one and give that a go.

Thanks for your help!