PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Feature...

Rexy
16-06-08, 11:14 AM
This is aimed at all of those who have had features etc as you would of no doubt spoke to magazines and dealt with them.

So what do they actually Look for in a car???

I've browsed threw magazines and looked at ex feature cars some are pretty well built and look stunning whereas some are rough as fook. I can't get my head around it.

I've never had a magazine feature and fancy building one so where do i start etc?

craig green
16-06-08, 12:11 PM
I think most cars are in with a shout.

IMO, its pretty clear that nasty bodykit trends have passed, but its about perfecting a factory look & adding your own twist. Mk1 Novas are a rarity, so I'd be inclined to do a GTE or lightweight styled Nova, choose a groiund breaking or non-Vaux colour & concentrate on the details. Concourse style under side with meticulous attention to detail.

Just pic up any issue of Perf VW to see how a feature car should be built.

Ian
16-06-08, 12:18 PM
I would'nt build a car just to get a feature, for a start whats in it for you?
You get to take the day off work, stand round for ages and use your petrol all so a mag can sell some more copies.

Also, nevre trust journalists.

Stuart
16-06-08, 12:23 PM
Ian, he gets to add atleast 100000% to the "value" of the car by saying "Mag Featured" in his advert.

craig green
16-06-08, 12:24 PM
I can see the point if the feature is the icing on the cake in terms of reward of ownership or hard work. But I agree, to build a car sloely for the feature seems a bit odd, esp as Total Vauxhalls readership figures arent esp high I wouldnt have thought, neither would a feature in Fast Car really be that great an achievement??

Some feature cars I've seen are often pretty scabby anyway. I guess its more about the concept & the parts used rather than the quality. Airbrushing & photoshop does wonders for a badly painted or presented car.

Build the car you want.... Track cars, bodykitted abortions & concourse show winnners have all had there place in the mags.

Dod
16-06-08, 12:35 PM
I've noticed somr cracking cars in TV and some pretty Basic cars on the COver. A v6 Stars with GSI Bumpers, no skirts and Calibra Interior, a Nova Built to GSi Spec with 16 Softstars and nothing else. Surely something like Keiths old NDZ Nova or something taking lots of man hours and a lot effort should make it onto the front cover instead.

If you wanna have it featured in Fast Car or Max power, Get a Tipper truck, fill the rear of it with fibreglass resin and Matting, Dump it on your car, stick 8 exhausts out the rear, a TV screen, some shiney 18s yooo and paint it pink with Jap Style stickers and you're in.

craig green
16-06-08, 12:39 PM
Simply spraying a car the wrong colour would discount you from a cover car IMO, as would the wrong weather on a photo shoot day.

Rexy
16-06-08, 02:48 PM
i think i might leave this were is it and carry on building my car for my enjoyment in that case.

Dod
16-06-08, 02:54 PM
To be honest, I'v been considering whats involved with Car features and I dont want to have one now.

No matter how many people love your car, someone will always come along and dislike it, people'll find something about the car that they think is sad or dislike and bring you down.

If the car puts a smile on your face and turns a few heads, thats what makes it worth while.

Rickyb
16-06-08, 04:45 PM
If the car puts a smile on your face and turns a few heads, thats what makes it worth while.
agreed :thumb:

craig green
16-06-08, 04:53 PM
I used to want mine featured in TV, I was never quite finished with it & wanted to perfect it more & never got it featured. It was built for my pleasure only & no one will ever influence my choices regarding my car tbh. I felt it was tastefull & not run of the mill (alessio's aside).

It is tricky coming up with new ideas & not ruining a car in the quest of modifying.

Personally I would choose GM bumpers, 5 stud the axles to open up a whole new world of GM alloys to fit & keep it sensible.

Ernie
16-06-08, 06:11 PM
I think mine made cover car as i knew Dougie lol.

Lynsey
16-06-08, 06:14 PM
I think mine made it into the back as Dougie wanted to make it into the back ;) :p

LMAO lol

Ernie
16-06-08, 08:06 PM
You dirty girl you.Please dont go changing lol x x

Dougie_SRi
16-06-08, 09:19 PM
Yours made it onto the cover as we wanted to show people that it was possible to build a great car using only a very small budget. Needless to say some people completely missed the point as I recall, and questioned why a standard-ish GTE with an XE was on the cover, and not a car that had cost much more.
That's not the point though. TV has had a few odd cover choices (not my preference at times either) but we try and mix things up and get as great a variety of things on there as possible.
Someone mentioned that certain colours or the weather on the shoot can affect things - that's true. Apparently green isn't a good idea. I've no idea why, just what I've been told.

HTH

Ernie
16-06-08, 10:14 PM
I wasnt complaining fella i was well chuffed lol.

Stuart
16-06-08, 10:16 PM
Apparently green isn't a good idea. I've no idea why, just what I've been told.

HTH

Green ink is more expensive? :wtf:

Lynsey
16-06-08, 10:33 PM
I hate green and personally wouldn't buy a magazine with green on it... YUK!

Stuart
16-06-08, 10:40 PM
I hate green and personally wouldn't buy a magazine with green on it... YUK!

Whats this "buy" you speak of?
Reading mags in the blue and green library is way better :thumb:

Lynsey
16-06-08, 10:44 PM
Or getting them free in the post lol I do buy Cosmo though :p

Stuart
16-06-08, 10:46 PM
I do buy Cosmo though :p

me too :cool:

Graeme
16-06-08, 10:46 PM
I thought everybody liked the green the Lotus Carltons came in

Stuart
16-06-08, 10:54 PM
I thought everybody liked the green the Lotus Carltons came in

ahhhh but thats nearer black so its cool

Lynsey
16-06-08, 10:58 PM
I do like that green :)

A lesson for you son- There's always an exception! lol

Mike
16-06-08, 11:35 PM
Is it only me that wouldnt want the world see'ing all my hard work, expensive parts & general looks of my car? Or am i still car theif paranoid?

Lynsey
16-06-08, 11:42 PM
Cheers Mike- you just reminded me to put the teering lock on Dougie's Nova. I was about to switch off and everything!

Rexy
16-06-08, 11:44 PM
Is it only me that wouldnt want the world see'ing all my hard work, expensive parts & general looks of my car? Or am i still car theif paranoid?

That has never crossed my mind to be honest mike, Good point. :thumb:

Ian
16-06-08, 11:44 PM
Cheers Mike- you just reminded me to put the teering lock on Dougie's Nova. I was about to switch off and everything!
to stop it crying?

Mike
17-06-08, 12:02 AM
That has never crossed my mind to be honest mike, Good point. :thumb:

lol i was expecting replies more towards me being paranoid lol but honestly that is the first thing i think off! Having had 2 cars stolen in the past 4 years i would actually turn down a mag feature.

Rexy
17-06-08, 12:06 AM
its funny you say this, as over the last few days there has been a New shape megane parked just outside my flat... Strange thing is it had a wheel clamp on it... I laughed and saidto my bird, why have they bothered there is a nova here which are easy to steal.

Today a low loader turns up and theres a few guys near it... Turns out the car had been stolen and left outside my flat, the guy only lives round the corner and the brakes were fooked on it. they had stolen his keys and then driven it away, They must of driven it for what about 5 mins max before the brakes must of played up then parked it normally and all locked up.

Very random lol.

Mike
17-06-08, 12:13 AM
^ lol at least he had some wheels/hubs left on it though :( unlikes both mine :( :(

GTE999
17-06-08, 01:49 AM
My old gen 3 rx7 was featured in max power (not front cover). Nothing major done exterior wise. Only 18" super t's, fully adjustable suspension. engine wise it had 3mm apex seals, hardened rotor tips, rebuilt turbo's, new dump valves and m's factory cone air filters and polished exhaust ports, stainless exhaust etc etc etc. I thought it was great. 2 days later it got keyed corner to corner and i had every w@nker in a chav mobile driving up my @rse! If you want my advice dont go for a feature, but thats just my opinion. After the car was keyed i lost heart in it and sold it. It could have been a strange coincidence but i was gutted!

Dod
17-06-08, 09:28 AM
WOW, see this is the attention you're going to get, everyone's gonna want a piece of you then.

What a ****ter mate, sorry to hear that.

Mike
17-06-08, 10:39 AM
My old gen 3 rx7 was featured in max power (not front cover). Nothing major done exterior wise. Only 18" super t's, fully adjustable suspension. engine wise it had 3mm apex seals, hardened rotor tips, rebuilt turbo's, new dump valves and m's factory cone air filters and polished exhaust ports, stainless exhaust etc etc etc. I thought it was great. 2 days later it got keyed corner to corner and i had every w@nker in a chav mobile driving up my @rse! If you want my advice dont go for a feature, but thats just my opinion. After the car was keyed i lost heart in it and sold it. It could have been a strange coincidence but i was gutted!

Gutted for you fella.

I rest my case though :(

peester
17-06-08, 10:51 AM
hopefully, tbf - the old skool max power readers; kids nutters (not particularly car enthusiasts) arent of the same calibre as the vw ford and total vaux. readers, in terms of bein nutters..
You should be safe on the streets after a tv feature..

Rexy
17-06-08, 11:49 AM
i carry a nice bar ( to tighten my wheels if needed ;) ) But i think i'll scrap the idea of a feature car, Do my own thing on it as its an everyday runner anyways. Come to think of it...

Does anybody remember SI P from redline?

He used to own a two tone corsa, black and orange... He lived locally and used to be out with my mates sometimes, He nearly got car jacked by some skally in a battered up fiesta. Luckly for Si there was about 9 other corsa owners behind him so you can imagine he didnt manage to get the car lol.

MARTIN KELSON
17-06-08, 06:46 PM
I've been lucky enough to of had my Nova featured in TV and CCC for those who can remember that far back.
Build the car for yourself and if you get the offer of a feature go for it.
There is alot of hanging around whilst pics are done but its still nice to see your car in print.

Jim
17-06-08, 09:49 PM
its still nice to see your car in print.
Agreed.

Mine was featured a few years ago now and it's nice to have proffesional images of how it was. The way I see it, it makes a nice momento for all your hard work.

Dan
17-06-08, 10:02 PM
Its one thing i wouldnt do again tbh, Come next month it will of been ten years since i had one of mine featured. I just built it as i liked the idea and they came to me for the feature which was nice as i didnt think about it.

As mentioned, to have one special car done is nice as it just marks a point in time that others have appreciated what you have done on such a scale. I still have an original copy of fast car that mine was in, still protected in the plastic wrapper it came in :D .

Ian
17-06-08, 11:41 PM
Its one thing i wouldnt do again tbh, Come next month it will of been ten years since i had one of mine featured. I just built it as i liked the idea and they came to me for the feature which was nice as i didnt think about it.

As mentioned, to have one special car done is nice as it just marks a point in time that others have appreciated what you have done on such a scale. I still have an original copy of fast car that mine was in, still protected in the plastic wrapper it came in so it's easy to wipe clean :D .
:eek:

Lynsey
17-06-08, 11:53 PM
Dan you nerd!

twistysnovagte
18-06-08, 05:57 PM
I think mine made cover car as i knew Dougie lol.yours made the front cover because it was a sweet ass motor(and hopefully still is);)

Dan
18-06-08, 07:42 PM
Dan you nerd!

lol lol lol well come on, its not like i will ever build another one that would be worthy of a feature compared to alot of the machinery around nowadays, twas my 2 seconds of fame lol (also i only know exactly when it was as i got married just before it came out, and thats how i remember to within a month when my anniversary is and which one it is ;) )

Lynsey
18-06-08, 07:49 PM
lol It's alright, I'm only kidding. I'd do the same- gotta have something to show the kids!

crazy_al
19-06-08, 07:26 PM
lol