PDA

View Full Version : Start up?

Jonezy
16-06-08, 10:31 AM
Hey again, more engine problems! On start up my nova sri seems to be running rich, When i rev it.. it backfires and spits flames out of the exhaust.. I've changed the crank sensor.. fitted new temp sensor.. any ideas guys? :confused: Thanks.

mowgli
16-06-08, 11:43 AM
sell it to a chav.....

seriously, if there is that much fuel going through, get down to a decent garage & stick the diagnostics machine on it......

craig green
16-06-08, 12:48 PM
Lambda sensor? MAP sensor?

meritlover
16-06-08, 03:28 PM
what about the base timing? sounds a little retarded

Jonezy
16-06-08, 03:37 PM
How do you check that then? because i thought that the timing was set by the ecu. Thanks

big gra
16-06-08, 03:59 PM
get a timing gun, and its adjested on the dizzy, or is yours a coilpack? ive never had an sri so not sure!

meritlover
16-06-08, 05:09 PM
the distributor may have got rotated on rebuild. there is a notch on the head casting and a 4mm slot on the distributor that lines up to get you in the ball park. the timing gun wont help get it that accurate as the ECU will be constantly altering the timing during idle as the engine/air temp map values change. you may be able to lock the ecu in a diagnostic mode to give yourself a fixed static ign value to allow you to align it to what ever base figure is stated in the manual.

Adam
16-06-08, 05:31 PM
As said, the timing is controlled by the ecu. But moving the dizzy also changes when the plug fires because your moving the dizzy cap in relation to the rotor arm.