PDA

View Full Version : turbo and carbs help

DAN-F
15-06-08, 11:58 PM
i have a 2l 8v ne engine im putting into my nova ive fitted it to an f13 box at the minute, and ive got a t3 turbo and manifold, the problem ive got is i had the chance of a set of bike arbs cheap an i couldnt turn them down, i know im gonna have to get an airbox but what else do i need to make this work together, want to keep it as simple as poss, the carbs are cbr 600 43mm chokes

Dod
16-06-08, 09:50 AM
All that on a F13 Box??

Good luck to that idea mate. I'm sorry but you'll need a Minimun of a F16 or even an F18 to hold that sort of power....

craig green
16-06-08, 12:03 PM
Turbo & bike carbs? Make your mind up.....

Std injection gets my vote tbh.

Stuart
16-06-08, 12:14 PM
you need to ensure the bike carbs can take being puressurised..... odds on they cant. So they would need mounting in the airbox/plenum too, major baf.

STD injection gets a 2nd vote + a megasquirt/omex etc setup.

Just because something that fits an engine is cheap dosent mean you should buy it ;)

craig green
16-06-08, 12:26 PM
Having to ask these questions means the chances of it being built are slim IMO.
Someone that can build/fabricate a turbo conversion shouldnt need to ask these types of questions IMO.

Paul
16-06-08, 01:19 PM
as stuart said, to turbocharge the carbs, they need to be presurised by being in a sealed box. where the boost pipe would control the pressure of.

DAN-F
16-06-08, 01:27 PM
All that on a F13 Box??

Good luck to that idea mate. I'm sorry but you'll need a Minimun of a F16 or even an F18 to hold that sort of power....
its only on there for now, when i go ahead with turboing it, once ive collected all the bits i need itll be f20

DAN-F
16-06-08, 01:32 PM
i know how to do it and i know the bike carbs can take it cos you can buy kits to turbo the bike they came off,
ive done turbo conversions before but ive never fitted bike carbs, i want to know if anyone knows what kit i need to get the carbs on there and running,
ive already ordered a carbon airbox that im going to be sealing up airtight planning on running omex setup, just the carbs im unsure of at the minute

Paul
16-06-08, 01:35 PM
do a search, been covered loads of times, if not, go onto MIGweb, theres a thread on there with everything you need to know.

Andy_L
16-06-08, 01:48 PM
i know how to do it and i know the bike carbs can take it cos you can buy kits to turbo the bike they came off,
ive done turbo conversions before but ive never fitted bike carbs, i want to know if anyone knows what kit i need to get the carbs on there and running,
ive already ordered a carbon airbox that im going to be sealing up airtight planning on running omex setup, just the carbs im unsure of at the minute

Just because the carbs can be turbo'd does not mean you can do it though. What is the maximum pressure they can take? You may only be able to run a few psi??

DAN-F
16-06-08, 02:12 PM
10psi i think im looking for the site i seen it on now but i cant find it, im 99% sure it was 10psi on the bike which was running 200+bhp on a standard engine apart from the turbo,
id be happy with 10psi, its going to have a cam and a ported head so should make decent power if it gets done, at the minute this is just a thought because i want to try something different, if it cant be done never mind ill just fit it up with standard inj

Paul
16-06-08, 02:17 PM
probably have better results with the standard inj IMO.

Dod
16-06-08, 02:51 PM
I'd like to see this attempted actually, I mean why not?

If the carbs can handle the preasure it'd be a fantastic motor. I say go for it.

And a little help and support from other users would go a long way....

meritlover
16-06-08, 03:27 PM
i have a 2l 8v ne engine im putting into my nova ive fitted it to an f13 box at the minute, and ive got a t3 turbo and manifold, the problem ive got is i had the chance of a set of bike arbs cheap an i couldnt turn them down, i know im gonna have to get an airbox but what else do i need to make this work together, want to keep it as simple as poss, the carbs are cbr 600 43mm chokes

if you think you can do it, and you know it can be done, what exactly are you asking?

arent you the one that wanted to build a turbo XE 'for a laugh' because you 'couldnt be bothered' to split the engine? asked loads of random questions and then abandoned the idea?

Stuart
16-06-08, 03:52 PM
I mean the WHOLE carb generally neds to go into a pressureised box, otherwise the fuel wont flow from the jets lol.

unless you fit a rising rate FPR... or how ever the bike turbo kit pretends to do it.

If the carbs are that cheap, buy them, sell them on at profit and use the profit to payfor engine management to suit the std inlet and turbo setp. Win Win then

Paul
16-06-08, 04:10 PM
I mean the WHOLE carb generally neds to go into a pressureised box, otherwise the fuel wont flow from the jets lol.

Whos that aimed at?

DAN-F
16-06-08, 04:11 PM
if you think you can do it, and you know it can be done, what exactly are you asking?

arent you the one that wanted to build a turbo XE 'for a laugh' because you 'couldnt be bothered' to split the engine? asked loads of random questions and then abandoned the idea?

actually started the turbo xe but got offered good money for the engine so i let it go,
also my mates cally turbo blew it blower so i lent him mine to get him back on the road

DAN-F
16-06-08, 04:14 PM
already bought the carbs they were £30 delivered
why exactly would the whole carbs have to be in a pressurised box?

Stuart
16-06-08, 04:19 PM
think how carbs work.... sucking air through creates a vaccum which in turn sucks the fuel through (jets dictate the ammount vs air)

now you start pushing air in at higher pressure than is around the carb....will the fuel get sucked in? highly doubtful. You can get sealing kits for the DCOE types of carb that the Lotus used etc but its still a ballache to do if the carb wasnt designed for boost in the first place (think R5gtt etc having specific FI carbs)

you could over pressurise the fuel but thats not really going to be the most accurate route now is it

DAN-F
16-06-08, 04:26 PM
well im gonna just give it a go and work out any problems as and when they come if i cant find a way to get around tem ill just bolt the standard manifold back on
cant hurt to try thats how things get discovered, if no one ever tries anything we'd all be driving around in standard motors

meritlover
16-06-08, 05:24 PM
to get the fuel to flow you have to have the presure of the air relative to the fuel pressure. the easiest way is to seal the whole cab in a box and pressurise it this also prevents fuel/air leaking out os butterfly spindles. Then youl have to figure out a way of adding fuel to compensate for the increased density. most carbs for FI have an additional jet or valve that opens (or boost operated secondry)
far easier to use an SRI manifold and plug your OMEX straight in. it would take about 30mins....then you would have almost infinate control over fuel and ign and you would only need minor mods to the OE loom.

Adam
16-06-08, 05:29 PM
As said. The standard inlet/tb is begging for a boost pipe,Lol
And is the best option.

Trying to mod the carbs/inlet to run a turbo sounds a bit long winded to me.

rednova
16-06-08, 05:49 PM
http://www.turbo-bike.net/ try this site bud - this blokes turbo'd his r1 got some decent build pics too !!

meritlover
16-06-08, 05:58 PM
As said. The standard inlet/tb is begging for a boost pipe,Lol
And is the best option.

Trying to mod the carbs/inlet to run a turbo sounds a bit long winded to me.

exactly! hashing about with an airbox, tubes of silicon and rubber hose is surely going to result in spurious fires and dubious AFRs both on and off boost. (not exactly an original set-up) the reason why no one has done it before is that your actually going back on technology and making life harder for yourself.
for someone thats got an OMEX sitting doing nothing, its simply a case of wiring a MAP,cam trig, injectors, FP relay. and an afternoons fiddling.

everything else (CTS, AIT, TPS, fan output relay) can be added later when you feel like doing a decent map.

DAN-F
16-06-08, 11:41 PM
not got omex yet i know for an omex setup cheap when my mate breaks his astra i can have the x16xe plus omex for £150 so ill be having that,
and im thinkin of getting hyabusa throttle bodies or standard inj now carbs seem a little complicated and not really worth the hassle

Mike
17-06-08, 12:04 AM
Carbs & turbo? Hhhhhmmmmm, think Renault 5 GT Turbo :thumb:

Never a good idea IMO. Although you can actually get Weber 40 carbs suitable for Turbo applications, have different material gaskets and slightly differ internally.

DAN-F
17-06-08, 12:32 AM
not gonna bother with them now, gonna put them on my girlfriends with an x16xe maybe, know for an engine but it has no loom or anything so im nt sure if in going to bother jst yet