PDA

View Full Version : Broken Down Plee For HELP...!!

chimp007_uk
15-06-08, 09:43 PM
Right...

I was driving to Carrie's on my way back to Coventry on the a41, when the Nova started to slightly missfire, then sounded like it was pinking under heavy throttle (rattley tinny sound), so was gentle on the throttle and tried to nurse it to Aylesbury. Then it DIED...

Checked the connections, disconnected the ECU for 20mins and let the engine cool. Car started fine, made it 4miles down the road (was still pinking?!?) then died again :(

Called the AA as i didnt want to damage the engine... (Lee's story part 2) 2hours later they turned up, even after one van drove past and i tried to flag him down... Carrie came out to say "harrow" and the Police turned up, "nova cruise! lol basically, 10 people hand complained that i was blocking the road... BOL!OCKS

Anyway... Ian the AA man, came tot he same conclusion as me, "pinking" and either Crank Sensor, Amplifier or Dizzy.

Whats peoples thoughts? Got tomorrow of work, but need the car sorted by the evening to get it back!

HELP ME PLEASE :)

Cheers all

Chris

chimp007_uk
15-06-08, 10:07 PM
Pretty Pretty Please

gte-87
15-06-08, 10:33 PM
i might be wrong but your mass air flow sensor may have given up and over fueling? just a guess

i went past you on the a41 in a red nova van but couldnt stop as didnt realise was deff a nova until i was past due to you being on the bend sorry

chimp007_uk
15-06-08, 10:35 PM
haha... I did see you.

Its all good. Could well be, but its getting a replacement tomorrow... Paul (coupeUk) his is dispack so no use there :(

Adam
15-06-08, 10:39 PM
It has a knock sensor, it shouldn't be pinking as the ecu should "see" that its pinking.

chimp007_uk
15-06-08, 10:42 PM
Where's the knock sensor fitted? i didn't know it had one... Its the early typre dizzy version.

Adam
15-06-08, 10:43 PM
On the back of the block.

Are you sure its actually pinking, and not something else ticking?

chimp007_uk
15-06-08, 10:44 PM
well... its a rattley sound that only accurs under load... i can "rev" in neutral and it doesn't do it...

It does smell very fuelly tho.

chimp007_uk
16-06-08, 08:27 AM
anyone?

ANDYRACER
16-06-08, 09:51 AM
I ashume this is an xe'd nova?

Dod
16-06-08, 09:52 AM
Was the car misfiring under acceleration? Jumping forward like it was running out of fuel?

chimp007_uk
16-06-08, 10:10 AM
not really...

first it started to have this rattley sound under acceleration, so i stayed at a constant speed then it satarted miss slightly then die completely.

Dod
16-06-08, 10:51 AM
Any burning smell or indication of the engine failing? Lost Compression?

chimp007_uk
16-06-08, 11:27 AM
checking compression in a bit...No burning smell! I'm stumped!

Ordered a new knock sensor £35 with discount :( fitted a new crank sensor, had to remove the engine mount to get access :0

Still the same! Its had new plugs. Really could do with someone with a dizzy XE to come round, swap the parts and go from there! if cam timing or anything like that was out it wouldn't rev or idle well, and it does. you wouldn't know anything was wrong with it until you drive it... :(

chimp007_uk
16-06-08, 11:46 AM
plugs are sooted, so over fuelling... the plot thickens! Ideas peeps?

chimp007_uk
16-06-08, 01:03 PM
anyone? i know have 7hours :(

Paul
16-06-08, 01:07 PM
IS it a C20XE yes, were not mind readers?

chimp007_uk
16-06-08, 01:09 PM
sorry... In my frustration last night i missed that out... although i did put nova xe ;)

Help me please!

Paul
16-06-08, 01:12 PM
ECU light working? If it isnt, wire it up, then flash off the fault codes if there is any. if you dont know how to do it, do a search, this came up about 3/4 days ago.

chimp007_uk
16-06-08, 01:24 PM
What colour would the ECU warning light be? as i dont have one...

Do you mean this problem came up? or wiring in a warning light did? how would i read the fault codes? and know what they mean?

Paul
16-06-08, 01:30 PM
4- These are the dash signal plugs, out of these two you will use the following wires:

BLUE- Temperature Display for Dash, to BLUE on Nova dials
BROWN with BLUE trace- ECU warning light, colour for colour on injection Nova dials/Digidash, unless it was a carb model, in which case, use the choke light as a ECU light, which is BROWN with YELLOW trace
GREEN- Tachometer (rev counter) goes to GREEN on nova dials

FUEL PUMP- This is the thick wire which goes to the fuel pump, the fuel pump live. It is blue with a red trace, as illustrated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/lashednova/xejibberish.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/rodgerq/LETWiringDiagram-3plugs.jpg

the easiest way is to wire the ecu light up first - brown/blue wire in the square green plug - connect it to the same colour wire coming from the clocks to make the ecu light work.

then get a small switch and run one side to earth and the other side to the brown/yellow wire on the square green plug on the LET loom.

to read the codes flick the switch so the wires short(switch closed) and you will get the blink codes through the light.

Andy_L
16-06-08, 01:43 PM
well... its a rattley sound that only accurs under load... i can "rev" in neutral and it doesn't do it...

It does smell very fuelly tho.

If you are revving it in neutral it's under load though surely? Something to do with a wheel speed sensor??

As Paul says though check for fault codes first.

Rich
16-06-08, 01:50 PM
Does it miss/splutter when you try reving it? possibly air flow meter/o2 sensor. Is it worse when warmed up? or does it do it from cold? Could even be a temp sensor, is it hard to start it when its warm?

Paul
16-06-08, 01:52 PM
All of the above the flash codes will bring up mate, stop making him piss in the wind, let him try and get the ECU light working first.

Dod
16-06-08, 02:07 PM
I'm sorry mate, I cant help you anymore, I'm stumped.

chimp007_uk
16-06-08, 02:45 PM
cam timing spot on, fuel pressure fine...

chimp007_uk
16-06-08, 03:14 PM
ecu light done...

how do you read the flashes? how many flashes to a code?

chimp007_uk
16-06-08, 03:26 PM
fault codes...

31- crank sensor (replaced for new part)
94 - Hall sensor :( Is this replaceable or is it new dizzy time?

ck
16-06-08, 03:27 PM
you can find it all here mate :)

http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_codes/fault_codes.htm

meritlover
16-06-08, 03:33 PM
crank cambelt pulley key may have sheared and altered the base timing.

chimp007_uk
16-06-08, 03:58 PM
i've got the codes and that cheers :)

i dont think thats the case, as it will run and idle fine... and rev, its purely a loading issue.

Anyone got a spare XE dizzy?

Paul
16-06-08, 04:07 PM
crank sensor will show up as car is not running, hall sensor may be the problem, I have a dizzy.

chimp007_uk
16-06-08, 04:08 PM
well, i changed the crank sensor fot a new generic one i bought for my c20seh engine, so i can put the original siemens one back on.

You're in southend though :(

chimp007_uk
16-06-08, 04:09 PM
cheers btw for the wiring diagram and eculight help!! :)

Paul
16-06-08, 04:33 PM
im working in roydon tonight...

Andy_L
16-06-08, 04:52 PM
Sorry how can it be the dizzy if it will idle and rev fine?

Paul
16-06-08, 05:00 PM
right ill shut up in this thread now then

chimp007_uk
16-06-08, 05:00 PM
in essex?

Howmuch would you want?

Andy_L
16-06-08, 08:48 PM
right ill shut up in this thread now then

Paul,

I was not disagreeing with you I meant it as a genuine question.

My apologies

:thumb:

chimp007_uk
16-06-08, 10:58 PM
i hope it is the dizzy! lol

Need the car running, although i have had to insure and tax my pug which cost me £600 :(

chimp007_uk
17-06-08, 09:51 AM
thanks to paul, i've sorted the hall effect sensor fault, and now... no faults are been registered, car runs sweet as a nut :) however...

its still has the raspy sound under acceleration... what couldbe causing this? i'm thinking intake or exhaust gasket... but it doesnt do it when you rev it when its stationary :s ?!?

chimp007_uk
17-06-08, 04:15 PM
anyone?

I had to insure and tax another car to get back to work... :( so now i'm poor as well! i need to try and resolve this problem this week, so i can go back at the weekend and sort it :)

Any help will be really appreciaited!

chimp007_uk
18-06-08, 01:53 PM
bumpy bump

ideas?

Dod
18-06-08, 01:54 PM
Why not get it put on a Diagnostics machine and see from there? I assume you're no longer stuck?

craig green
18-06-08, 01:57 PM
Diagnostics are only as good as the user tbh. Never worth the £50 odd quid to hook it up.

chimp007_uk
18-06-08, 01:58 PM
the engine runs sweet as a nut... Jus tthis raspy sound under load.

Dod
18-06-08, 02:02 PM
Its not the exhaust vibrating off something?

Take a look in and see if anythings loose and go from there.

Jack
18-06-08, 02:03 PM
I thought that was normal for an XE. Mine rasps like feck, but thats missing the mid box on the exhaust (has a showercap and ramair filter too).

chimp007_uk
18-06-08, 02:05 PM
thats the thing nothing seems loose, and it doesnt do it when stationary!?!

people have said the exhaust and intake gaskets if leaking can amke a raspy sound. but i would have thought they'd make it when rev'd at stationary not just under load.

chimp007_uk
18-06-08, 02:06 PM
mine is raspy... single box and induction kit. but it didnt do this before and sounds like there's sh!t being poured throught he intake...

tempted to do the exhaust and intake gaskets at the weekend.

how easy is the intake?

craig green
18-06-08, 02:10 PM
A leaking inlet would give all manner of spluttering, poor performance etc.

Diagnostics wont show up any rattles FFS. Just get driving it & wait for it to fail if its going to.

Have you checked the timing marks on the pulleys all line up?

craig green
18-06-08, 02:11 PM
tempted to do the exhaust and intake gaskets at the weekend.

how easy is the intake?

Spray some brake or carb cleaner around the inlet area whilst engine is idling. You'll know if theres a leak. Dont disturb the gaskets for the sake of it.

chimp007_uk
18-06-08, 02:17 PM
cam timing is spot on. as its got the single v pulley can i check ignition timing?

i dont really want to drive it, if there's something wrong. i cant afford £300 on a new engine :(

chimp007_uk
18-06-08, 02:20 PM
well, i need to do the exhaust gasket to do the sump gasket...

re-sealed the the tb gasket at the weekend. tried carb cleaner but ran out.

i was driving along pretty quickly and it just started doing it... if cam timing was out it wouldn't idle properly or rev fine when not under load.

thanks for you help!

craig green
18-06-08, 02:24 PM
The bottom pulley can be misleading as the outer with the marker can slip against the inner pulley which is attached to the crank. Find TDC by putting a long screwdriver down plug hole 1 & using a socket on the bottom pulley to find the screwdriver at its highest point (pushed up by the piston). Then check the cam pulleys are aligned.

Its not a noisy, knackered alternator is it?

ps. I buy my carb/brake cleaner from a pound shop.

chimp007_uk
18-06-08, 04:04 PM
i disconnected the alternator to eliminate that :)

will check the cam timings again to be sure, cant see that being the problem.

I'm really stumped!

cheers for the brake/carb cleaner tip :) you cheap skate lol

Adam
18-06-08, 04:16 PM
Raspy noise?
Sure the exh manifolds not cracked or something?
Or the systems not blowing?

All standard xe exhaust manifolds are raspy as foook

chimp007_uk
18-06-08, 04:28 PM
yes, its is "raspy" as standard and was before, but this is a completely different sound. and only does it under load!

The system isn't blowing, and there are no visible cracks int he manifold.

my question is, would it not make this new sound reving it when stationary? as it only does it when driving along...

Adam
18-06-08, 04:38 PM
No, the engines under no load when revving it.

chimp007_uk
18-06-08, 04:40 PM
yeh, i know :) i worded it badly, but if there was a leaking gasket, a vauum leak, a blowing exhaust or a cracked manifold... would i not hear the sound when its NOT under load??

cheers ad

Sherco
18-06-08, 05:26 PM
All 2.0 XE's have the rasp noise, it apparently comes from the manifold. My car was making a really gay rasp noise when i was driving at around 3.5k, it turned out to be a slight blow in the exhaust system.

I took the whole system apart and used proper exhaust sealer/paste and now its sounds so much better and no real rasp noise.

chimp007_uk
21-06-08, 07:57 PM
just an updated, had a disasterus day with one thing any another... but... :)

I think i've found a the problem :)

the manifold had a very slight leak, and fitting a new gasket due to fitting a new sump gasket so that should be good, but there's a massive crack in the exhaust. and I'mguessing that under load its opening up more. so kind of happy, but kind of not lol

Anyone got an C20XE exhaust and manifold as mine's a "custom" lol welded together jobby.

Adam
21-06-08, 08:05 PM
*Cough*

Raspy noise?
Sure the exh manifolds not cracked or something?

*Cough*

:p lol

chimp007_uk
21-06-08, 08:27 PM
all right smart ****

its on one of the so called "joints" from one section of odd sized tube to another. and as i dropped the exhaust and manifold the exhaust flexed enough for it to open up. would never of seen it otherwise.

Cheers for the heads up though :)

Adam
21-06-08, 08:30 PM
At least its nowt really serious :)

chimp007_uk
21-06-08, 08:53 PM
nah, I'm kind of happy. just cant really afford an exhaust system :( need to fix my welder!