PDA

View Full Version : The Donegal International Rally, Tragic end

Dod
15-06-08, 11:36 AM
The Donegal International Rally is the counties single biggest event, bringing over €8,000,000 into the county over the weekend, visitors from all over the world, let alone the country and is the 5th round of the Irish Tarmac Rally Championship. Its a 3 day event but sadly, this year it was cut short.

Around 3 O'clock yesterday, on the Ballyare Ramelton stage on an extremely fast road section, an 18yr old Spectator was struck by a Ford Fiesta Challenge car, driven by Gwindaf Evans's son. The impact happened at around 100mph and the young lad was killed instantly.

No driver error was found and the marshals had been doing their Job to their best ability, struggling to keep the above lad and his mate in line. When 2 cars came within seconds of each other, this unfortunate lad ran out to see the 1st go by when he was struck by Evans's car.

As a mark of respect, the rest of the Rally was cancelled and all results were as they were until the tragic accident.

Anyone attending a rally anytime soon, be safe. Its not worth it.

RIP.

novasportc550
15-06-08, 11:52 AM
very sad end to this event, my thoughts are with this young mans family..

s14a
15-06-08, 12:22 PM
poor lad, shame, its not so long ago since the last death at donegal....
rip

wilson_sri
15-06-08, 12:25 PM
Very sad news, my thoughts do go out to the family of the young guy killed. But also to the driver, must be equally hard for him.

shy witness
15-06-08, 01:27 PM
yeah......

its shocked alot of people over here to be honest.

thoughts and wishes to all the family and friends....

but also to any of the spectators/kids and everything that witnesssed it.

apparently it was a popular part of the stage.....and plenty were watching ...videoing etc etc.

i'm sure it was awfull.

RIP

Dave.
15-06-08, 02:28 PM
poor lad

R.I.P

Jonlem
15-06-08, 03:03 PM
I heard about this yesterday :(

RIP the young lad

krobinson
15-06-08, 05:58 PM
I didnt realise that he had actually ran out in front of the car, I feel even more sorry for the driver of the car, totally not his fault but i'm sure he's gutted.

Keith

Dod
15-06-08, 06:00 PM
Aye, its rough now. A total blow out of a weekend and a tragic loss of life.

meritlover
15-06-08, 06:02 PM
very sorry the event was cancelled, its a shame days like this are spoiled by people that have no respect for the speed of the cars or how dangerous these events can be if you dont stay off the track.

rallies are generally very safe and very well managed if people follow simple rules.

Philsutton
15-06-08, 06:20 PM
very sorry the event was cancelled, its a shame days like this are spoiled by people that have no respect for the speed of the cars or how dangerous these events can be if you dont stay off the track.

rallies are generally very safe and very well managed if people follow simple rules.

Agreed, sad news but walking out on track in front of a racing car is a good start for getting a darwin award.

Rick Draper
15-06-08, 06:59 PM
Very sad news. My mate met Gwyndaf Evans and his son at chatsworth last weekend, i hope it doen not effect his son 2 much as by all accounts he was really starting to come good and getting some great results.

Dar
15-06-08, 07:10 PM
Very sad :(

Dod
15-06-08, 07:18 PM
Agreed, sad news but walking out on track in front of a racing car is a good start for getting a darwin award.

He stepped out unaware that a second car was so close, not a case of "Hmmmm, I wonder whats over here..."

Dar
15-06-08, 07:22 PM
Rally Stages are dangerous places. It's easy to get in the wrong place without knowing. Thats why the marshalls are there. But since you can wander anywhere you like, your safety is largley up to you. It's an exciting sport to watch and accidents do happen :(

stuartyj21
15-06-08, 08:56 PM
a sad bit of news that all thoughts with both familys..