PDA

View Full Version : Stem seals - X16XEL

MC
14-06-08, 07:20 AM
Is it possible to change the stem seals on a 1.6 16v without removing the cylinder head?

MC

mowgli
14-06-08, 07:38 AM
i would imagine it is, but the valves are angled so getting pressure on them to get the collets off could damage them.

John
14-06-08, 07:45 AM
Probably, if you have some way of holding the valves in when the springs are compressed. We used to hold them in with air when i used to work at vaux, and had a special tool to remove and compress the valve springs. If you haven't got any way of doing this, i reckon it'd be easier and quicker just to remove the head.

ck
14-06-08, 11:03 AM
yeah its do able, you need a couple special tools and an air line. you screw one tool into the plug hole and link the air line to it. this will hold the valves in place, then you use another tool to compress the valve springs to remove the collets and hey presto u have access to the stem seals..

mowgli
14-06-08, 12:27 PM
yeah its do able, you need a couple special tools and an air line. you screw one tool into the plug hole and link the air line to it. this will hold the valves in place, then you use another tool to compress the valve springs to remove the collets and hey presto u have access to the stem seals..

by special tool, I reckon its an old drilled out sparkplug with a pcl coupler brazed to it

better hope for a good valve seal.......

ck
14-06-08, 03:47 PM
yep a special bought tool or an improvised spark plug lol :D but you still need the special tool to be able to compress the valve spring in order to remove the collets.

burgo
15-06-08, 02:09 AM
of course this is all very well but if the valve guides are that bolloxed like mine were then they need burning off, which probably isn't possible with the head on

meritlover
15-06-08, 12:49 PM
what is the point of filling the cylinder with air? with the Cylinder at TDC, the valve cant drop more than a few mm anyway.

far better just to remove the head and do it properly, im sure the valves could do with a grind in anyway just to make it worth while.
and if your just doing it clutching at straws to repair your smokey engine, the chances are it could do with a bit of TLC anyway.
do a compression test first