PDA

View Full Version : Friday the 13th Unlucky for some... Unlucky for me

Nova_Tek
13-06-08, 10:15 PM
I had planned an eventful day. 1st was to go pick up my brand new fuel sender from Vauxhall to which I had the privillige of paying £64 for but I needed one badly and thought 'f*ck it', pick up my suit for my wedding and then come back spend some time Schultzing and Waxoyling the underside of my car seeing as it is in wonderful condition I want to prolong it.

I set off for Vauxhall and everything was fine, no problems car perfomred as it has been. Picked up the part and drove about 2 miles to the nearest cash point which was at Sainsbury's. Parked up jumped out, got cash, jumped back in... took about 1 minute.

Started her up, no problems, drove off got to a speed bump and the car coughed. Continued driving and got to a round about and I felt as if the car weren't right. Took off from the roundabout and felt shuddering as if she was on 2-3 cylinders.

Got to some lights and she was idling rough. Took off from the lights, no power, hardly any acceleration and a rough mettalic sounding noise. Sounded like an older Diesel trying to accelerate on full throttle in 5th gear from low speed :wtf: i.e. mettalic rattle, knocking/pinking sort of noise.

I took the next turning off to B&Q car park and parked up as I came to a stop she'd cut out. Started her up and she would start but ran rough.

I turned off the engine let it cool down and started her up which she did but again ran rough. Popped the bonnet look for any signs but nothing everything seemed normal. At that point I rang the AA, then had a massive row with them told them to p*ss off and rang my dad to bring some tools over.

My dad arrived, I whipped off the spark plugs they were all normal, one was a bit loose but again the plug itself was ok and I put it back. Leads didnt look perished or damaged. I took of the distributor cap and found the rotor arm contact in the middle snapped off. I thought "looks like I found the culprit" :thumb:

Popped to Halfords which was 200metres away got the last rotor arm and fitted it.

Started her up.... the same :(

:eek:

I had no choice really but to try and drive her home. So I took off taking it easy. There was no power, no accelleration, getting to 40mph was nigh-on impossible, 4th gear just gave kangerooing jumping but no speed, had to drive in 3rd most of the way at a max speed of 35mph. Had to drive with the choke fully on. Turning off the choke gave a loud metallic noise putting it back on reduced it. Had to just keep off the throttle most of the time and let it coast.

Wierd thing is no blue smoke or white smoke, coolant clean and oil is clean with no mayo.

Got home parked up, got my bro to take me to get some leads. My dad kept on going about leads as I hadn't changed them in 3 years but I knew that the liklyhood was that it wasnt the problem but anywho got the bits come back stuck them on and still the same. So I whipped them off gonna return them.

So, bascially im stumped. Dunno whats gone wrong its a bigger problem, obviously lol

Any ideas?

its a 1.2 carb.

:thumb:

Lee
13-06-08, 10:26 PM
Im not sure why but ive got a weird feeling its your fuel pump, especially as pulling the choke on improved things. Remove the feed pipe form the carb and see if plenty of fuel is getting through.

Could also be a blocked filter? Blocked jets in the carb? (try sticking your hand over the carb to stall it with the filter assembly off, this tends to dislodge any crap)

Your not alone on the friday the 13th thing. Got home oday to find some thieving ass had knicked the grill from Hayleys 1.2 :(

mowgli
13-06-08, 10:31 PM
Got home today to find some theiving ass had knicked the grill from Hayleys 1.2 :(

you make her do the cooking in the car???????

Lee
13-06-08, 10:32 PM
you make her do the cooking in the car???????

+100 rep for being ultra sharp this evening lol

mowgli
13-06-08, 10:33 PM
i'd say choke cable possible, but if you have been draining the tank, then blocked filter or pump most likely or it could be the fuel pipe blocked, cure by shoving an air line down it & blasting

Nova_Tek
13-06-08, 10:41 PM
will have a look at the fuel pump tomorrow and the filter. I took off the air filter had a look the jets seemed to squirt nicely and the carb looked clean couldnt see anything unusual. Will take all fuel pipes off and check them.

I have been driving it for 3 days since all was put back after tank drain. Yesterday I stuck in 15 quid of fuel incase muppets start to panic buy but untill this afternoon the car was fine.

Will take a look though to rule it out. if all this comes up clear then what else could it be?

Nova_Tek
13-06-08, 10:43 PM
Your not alone on the friday the 13th thing. Got home oday to find some thieving ass had knicked the grill from Hayleys 1.2 :(

Bastids :mad:

mowgli
13-06-08, 10:44 PM
will have a look at the fuel pump tomorrow and the filter. I took of the air filter had a look the jets seemed to squirt nicely and the carb looked clean couldnt see anything unusual. Will take all fuel pipes off and check them.

I have been driving it for 3 days since all was put back after tank drain. Yesterday I stuck in 15 quid of fuel incase muppets start to panic buy but untill this afternoon the car was fine.

Will take a look though to rule it out. if all this comes up clear then what else could it be?

you could have siht in the carb

Nova_Tek
13-06-08, 10:57 PM
maybe

Welsh Dan
13-06-08, 11:08 PM
Mine did similar once, the garage gave the carb a blast with an airline which seemed to cure it.

Nova_Tek
13-06-08, 11:38 PM
dont have airline at home, maybe a blast of carb cleaner might do the trick.

ANDYRACER
14-06-08, 01:30 AM
Yep i had the same problem with my old nova sr, gave it a good old blast with carb cleaner and sorted the problem. :thumb:

meritlover
14-06-08, 08:40 AM
remove the airbox, rev the engine and cup your hand over the intake, the vacuum draws a lot of dirt out the jets and cleans the carb, sometimes it is the way to work, sometimes it needs to have the carb removed and cleaned properly.
it is a good 'get you home' fix sometimes, but not all the times.

Dod
14-06-08, 10:56 AM
I reckon you need a new Coil module, sits under the coil on the passenger side front arch in front of the windscreen washer bottle.

mowgli
14-06-08, 11:25 AM
I reckon you need a new Coil module, sits under the coil on the passenger side front arch in front of the windscreen washer bottle.

it is a 1.2 carb!!!!!!

Dod
14-06-08, 03:49 PM
oops!!

Dave.
14-06-08, 03:56 PM
you could have siht in the carb
i would highly reccomend not to have a poo in your carb.. because sh!t'll hit the fan.

tazsport69
14-06-08, 11:43 PM
hi thier i wud remove the rocker cover an have a good inspectoin at the rocker's etc U mite have broken 1 ? if you have good spark an fuel? at least your narrowing down to your problem.

Nova_Tek
15-06-08, 10:22 PM
Well I didnt have time to do anything today, but I had a work with my mate who works for the AA and he went over the things that I was thinking about.

So hopefully if I got the time I will be checking the cam belt see if thats tensioned correctly as it may have jumped a tooth, then go through the carb look for blockages, try a compresion test even though I feel the HG is less than likely & just try to eliminate things.

This mite be a valid reason to LET it!

paulwar
15-06-08, 10:32 PM
if you swap engines, let me know!!!! i need a spare 1200 carbed lump.

i would take fuel line off tank and carb blow down it to make sure no ****, also try turning it over with fuel line off to see if it's coming through clean.

what you could do is take carb of and have a look inside in case there is some **** floating about in it

Welsh Dan
15-06-08, 11:38 PM
What do the plugs look like?

Nova_Tek
16-06-08, 12:49 PM
plugs look normal i.e brown deposit on them (back of the Haynes manual says its normal.)

Nova_Tek
16-06-08, 06:22 PM
OK just spent some time checking things over.

*Checked timing and both cam pulley and crank pulley timing marks line up with notches.

*Rotor arm changed

*Dizzy cap cleaned, contacts are nice and thick & is only 6 months old.

*Leads changed for new and no difference to engine so old leads are fine.

*Rocker cover off looked at cams, none broken or damaged all look to be in the same condition.

*Took off fuel pump, opend it up, filter is clean and pump isnt blocked.

*With the engine running sprayed plenty of carb cleaner into areas of the carb and at the jets.

*Disconnected the hose to pump inlet and ran her till no fuel left in carb incase engine was flooded with fuel.

*Whilst engine was running covered the carb with my hand till she almost cut out to hopefully allow vacuum to suck and poop out.

Done all of the above to no avail.

Welsh Dan
16-06-08, 08:31 PM
Take the plugs out, turn her over by hand with a ratchet on the crank pulley and see if it rotates smoothly.

Nova_Tek
16-06-08, 10:18 PM
ok if it doesnt turn easily what would that mean?

Im stumped.

I dont have a spare coil to try see if thats the problem and Im working all day everday.

Welsh Dan
16-06-08, 10:20 PM
If it doesnt turn smoothly then there's a mechanical issues somewhere, head off jobbie. If it does then its likely to be fuel/spark related.

How many miles are on the engine? I've got the old carb off my 1.2 somewhere, if you want it and I can find it you can have it for the cost of posting it.

Spudly
16-06-08, 10:29 PM
[quote=Nova_Tek]*Whilst engine was running covered the carb with my hand till she almost cut out to hopefully allow vacuum to suck and poop out.[quote]

Get someone to rev engine for ya and hold about 3000-4500rpm as nothing will come out without a little enthusiasm on the engines side, i had same prob with an old mk3 fiesta after id run it out of fuel my mate did this and all was happy after!

Nova_Tek
17-06-08, 12:36 AM
Engine is almost at around 100k.

There were no signs of a problem completely all of a sudden.

If it is a head off jobbie then Im not gonna bother as the money I will spend fixing it will go towards a conversion and a LET