PDA

View Full Version : easy mig question

richi
11-06-08, 07:05 PM
just bought a mig welder, got a few bits and pieces to do, never really done it before but watched a few vids on the net, now i have the mig all set up but i cant get the wire to come out, its all threaded through the tip but when i hold the button the gas comes out but not the wire what have i done wrong?

draper
11-06-08, 07:06 PM
has it fell off the rollers inside the welder ??

trackdaynova
11-06-08, 07:06 PM
tighten the tensioner on the roller as it enters the liner inside your welder itself, sounds like the spindle is spinning, but it's not gripping and pulling it through

richi
11-06-08, 07:11 PM
just had another look and the tensioner seems to be on, just doesnt seem to be spinning, maybe the trigger is knackered on it, doesnt sound like its even spining inside, not making a noise or anything

draper
11-06-08, 07:12 PM
might sound daft but are you holding the trigger for long enough ?? mine has a 2-3sec delay

richi
11-06-08, 07:12 PM
yes the mig is turned on before you ask lol, watched a vid and im doing all the same things as he did, loaded qall in and tensioner locked in place

richi
11-06-08, 07:13 PM
yeah i had hold for a good 30secs,

richi
11-06-08, 07:13 PM
honestly i think it is something daft i am doing being a noob with it just cant figure out what

cesil
11-06-08, 08:30 PM
have you tried turning your wire speed up? if its set on 0 it wont flow but you gas still will, silly i know but happend to me:thumb:

dan23
11-06-08, 08:38 PM
make sure the roller is on the correect groove there are two grooves for 0.6mm am 0.8mm wire you may have to turn the roller round

trackdaynova
11-06-08, 08:41 PM
dan - he's said the roller isn't even turning, which makes me think the trigger is faburred... however, the gas is also activated by the trigger, which contradicts this :confused: :tard:

cesil
11-06-08, 10:02 PM
dan - he's said the roller isn't even turning, which makes me think the trigger is faburred... however, the gas is also activated by the trigger, which contradicts this :confused: :tard:

the rollers wont turn if wire speed is on 0 tho but youll still get the gas coming through

trackdaynova
11-06-08, 10:14 PM
ahhh must be a difference in welders, as mine does come through (albeit slowly) even on speed zero

good point tho - deffo worth a check :)

dan16v
11-06-08, 10:28 PM
make sure the roller does spin with the wire speed turned up! if it does and the tensioner is tight, the wire could be snagging on the wire/ torch liner or you could have to thicker diameter feed wire for the contact tip! remove the feed wire from the liner and make sure you get a good clean cut with a sharp set of snips, then try feeding it again!
also try feeding the wire into the liner by hand rather than using the roller, that way you can get a feel as to wether its getting stuck some where!