PDA

View Full Version : turbo or throttle bodies?

dan16v
16-09-02, 06:24 PM
hi lads in realy starting to get bored of my 16v now i needs more power!
what id realy like to know from the valver boys is which route should i take;
buy my self a 16v turbo lump as that way i have the power std but i dont like the idea of lag and how much extra would i have to do ie loom etc over my c20xe?

or i like those regal dbilas next gen throttle bodies? id fit em tho, regal couldnt fit a back box :lol: think they give 25bhpish for ?1010

so what i want to know is whats the best option money wise and the other thing is i do like normaly aspirated but if its xpensive to tune may be better gting a turbo :wink:

Dicko
16-09-02, 07:18 PM
?1010 for 25bhp? well for about ?1700 u can have a full throttle body setup. This would give you a naturally aspirated 200-220bhp (208 usually).
all you need is the throttle bodies, the linkages, the DTA/MBE management with suitable loom, and a high flow manifold/downpipe wiuth good exhaust system, and possibly high tensile rod bolts which usually come with the kit.
Side by side you should be able to easily beat 2l turbo novas that run upto 250Bhp as you dont have a turbo to wait for.

the only advantage of the turbo is the noise!!http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Taper_TP208.htm

Matt Finary
17-09-02, 02:58 PM
Dicko is right(as always) :lol: But if you did want a turbo and you worried about the lag. I heard that if you run a small shot of Nos you lose the lag. you can also get anti lag kit like on rally car. They force air through the engine,even on the run over and keeps the turbo spinning(also you would get the popping noise of a rally car).

Matt

Ben (lurk75)
17-09-02, 06:09 PM
Most definately the throttle bodies and some MBE, got a good site that sells ex competion parts and come new stuff, PM me and will give you the address.

He also sells full engines might be cheaper to buy a Bowyer or Swindon engine already running on MBE.

CP
17-09-02, 09:21 PM
Speaking as someone who has TB's I have to admit that if you want ultimate power, forced induction is the easiest way. You will get more power and a shit load of extra torque from a turbo that TB's wont be able to match. These days lag is less of a problem with the advent of newer turbo bearing designs plus other add ons.

Dicko
18-09-02, 08:38 AM
lurk, is that place your on about up north?

if not can you send me the details :)

Anonymous
18-09-02, 11:22 AM
Start with a standard 16v lump not a cally turbo motor and talk to someone like AMT about a decent turbo conversion for it, you can get 300bhp with more or less no lag.
The vauxhall turbo setup is total shite, the manifolds are an awful shape and the cams are not as good as the XE ones.

For 4 grand or so you can have a rebuilt motor with a totally driveable 300bhp and hardly any lag, throttle bodies cant match that, at those power levels you would be running a very hot cam which would be nasty at low revs.

Personalyl though, ive driven both a 300bhp turbo nova and a 200bhp N/A one and i prefer the bodies, much better throttle response and if yo uare doign any sort of competitions a turbo is going to put you up against cars that will kick the ass off soem sorry old nova im afriad!

Chip

Ben (lurk75)
18-09-02, 06:10 PM
Dicko the guy is in lancashire somewhere, never been just get it mail order.

dan16v
18-09-02, 09:01 PM
hmmmm yea its a hard one to decide id like to have the throttle bodies i think some one told me that if i got an LSD id appriciate the car alot more wat you rekon? may be a lsd and a set of sbd bodies and management?
cheers lads :wink:

Anonymous
19-09-02, 09:21 AM
I got a set of dbilas throttle bodies yesterday from regal, im not after mega power form this car, most important thing is its economical, ive got other cars if i want to go quick.

The dbilas setup is a great compromise i reckon, std managemant nd economy etc with a much better breathing capability.

People who say tehy arent throttle bodies dont know what they are taking about frankly, the fact they share a filter doesnt detract from the fact they are four individual throttle bodies with a very good inlet path, i the filter setup and standard AFM are not going to greatly effect the way they flow.
My only conern is how well the standard AFM and ECU is going to handle it, I wont know till i try it i guess, but for only a grand its worth playing with to see.

They are a very nicely made bit of kit IMHO, was quite pleased with the quality when i drove down to fetch them.

Hopefully going to chuck them on one of my novas at the weekend and see what they do for it.

Chip

Dicko
19-09-02, 09:43 AM
throttle bodies like twin carbs have a butterfly valve per inlet, and are setup on a 'per inlet' basis to achieve exact mixture on each cylinder.
the regla 1 is similar to the velos kit which doesnt as far as im aware.

Anonymous
19-09-02, 09:53 AM
TOTaLLY incorrect!

The regal kit is EXACTLY a set of throttle bodies.

It has 4 butterflys.

If you look at that and a conventional TB kit, they are the same manifold, the same thorttle bodies, but then the regal kit has a plenum chamber on the back of the bodies instead of seperate filters.

http://www.regal-shop.co.uk/asps/uploads/big/91-1.jpg

Look at the piccy, you can see where the throttle linkage sits in the middle and turns a spindle which operates the 4 butterfly like any other TB or twin webber setup would.

Chip

Dicko
19-09-02, 09:59 AM
o right, i get it now. So its throttle bodies but using std vaux engine management. Usually they do it the other way around.

fair enough point taken. I was looking at the 1 they used in total vaux and it certainly isnt that 1. that 1 looks pretty good

Anonymous
19-09-02, 10:14 AM
The concept is superb.
They flog you a set of high flowing throttle bodies, but without you having the expense of buying the engien management for it, its easier to swap from car to car and using mainly std parts meanst he scrapyard is still a nice cheap place for parts.

My only reservation is wether the standard air flow meter is going to cope with reading that much flow or not.

Chip

Ben (lurk75)
19-09-02, 04:46 PM
chip were they the ?1100 ones?

They sound quite straight forward.

Anonymous
19-09-02, 05:48 PM
They were 1010 quid, they look pretty str8 forward to fit, IF they do fuel properly and work okay its a bloody good idea i reckon.

Ill report back when ive fitted them.

Chip

Dicko
19-09-02, 10:04 PM
if it has a similar setup to the older 8v version then it was the ECU that had the problems, not the airflow meter. it was simply a case of chipping the ECu to sort these things out..

or if you want and can afford upgrade to MBE/DTA management for about ?600/?700 when youv saved up again, that will add another 20-25bhp