PDA

View Full Version : Alloys and Tyre Size

gunner1x1
09-06-08, 12:00 PM
The standard tyres on my Nova Sting were 165/70/13 and I uprated these to some alloys with a tyre size of 195/45/15 which keeps the gearing etc almost the same.
I also want to get a set of GTE/GSI 3 spoke but the tyres on these are 2 x 185/65/14 and 2 x 195/65/14, but I have been told that this will throw the gearing out as well as mess with the speedo readings is this right?
If so what size tyres do I need for 14 inch 3 spoke to keep everything as it should be?

Cheers

Mike

AlexW
09-06-08, 12:25 PM
i think im missing the point, but 3 spokes wont mess with your speedo, novas are designed to have them! And speedos have to Overread anyways.

gunner1x1
09-06-08, 12:38 PM
i think im missing the point, but 3 spokes wont mess with your speedo, novas are designed to have them! And speedos have to Overread anyways.

Yes, but as I understand it (and I am a novice) because the gearing,speedo etc was set up by Vauxhall to run on 13's, if I want to run on bigger wheels I have to use a wider tyre with a smaller profile to keep the over all size of the wheel the same, but by using 195/65/14 the over all size will be nearlly 50mm bigger, which so I have been told will mess with the gearing among other things.:confused:

Cheers

Mike

AlexW
09-06-08, 01:00 PM
Im also not very clued up on gearing and the such but, i would have thought that running Any tyre on 14's would not play with it too much. And your not going to be losing much anyways, if all your conserned about is the speedo it is no worry it overreads anyways.

Prey
09-06-08, 01:06 PM
Try this link:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Put in your 2 tyre sizes and it will tell you the difference in size and speedo %

gunner1x1
09-06-08, 01:32 PM
Try this link:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Put in your 2 tyre sizes and it will tell you the difference in size and speedo %

Thanks Prey the speedo will only be about 5mph out, which is no big deal but the thing that worries me because I really don't know what it means is the gearing, so what do they mean when they say it will mess the gearing up?

Cheers

Mike

Dod
09-06-08, 01:36 PM
Na, its just that the wheels are larger and it takes more of an effort to turn them, because the outter of the wheel is larger, so it may take you a little longer to get up through the Revs. But from 13 to 14 it wont make a difference, even as far as 15". I've 17"s on one of my Novas and it doesnt mess up the gearing nor the speedo so nothing to worry about.

gunner1x1
09-06-08, 07:19 PM
Na, its just that the wheels are larger and it takes more of an effort to turn them, because the outter of the wheel is larger, so it may take you a little longer to get up through the Revs. But from 13 to 14 it wont make a difference, even as far as 15". I've 17"s on one of my Novas and it doesnt mess up the gearing nor the speedo so nothing to worry about.

Thanks Dod. The trouble is being new to this game I have got to learn somewhere, even if I do feel embarrassed asking what I am sure is a stupid question with an easy answer to 99.9% of you.
The guy I spoke to made it sound like I would be in big trouble if I ran on them tyres.:roll:

Thanks again

Mike

Dod
09-06-08, 08:16 PM
Here. dont worry about it. I'm on here 4 years and only starting to get the hang of it now!!

As for the odd questions, thats what the technical forum is for. Dont think your question is stupid, cuz chancwes are its been asked loads of times before.