PDA

View Full Version : fuel leak

DEE'S NOVA
16-09-02, 02:41 PM
had the car running for about 5 mins when i went to the back and noticed a puddle it was fuel leaking out from the sender unit under the rear bumper and i think one off the pipes me be broke two as it running down. which means i have two leaks from about the one area

just incase i'm looking at buying a new sender unit roughly how much?

Mr Dan
16-09-02, 03:02 PM
I had a big petrol leak a couple of months back, which I discovered when I filled my petrol tank right to the top for once. Basically the sender pipes had all perished and needed replacing. Parts and labour cost ?50 in all but the mechanic said he replaced it with the better piping that comes on new Vauxhalls so it would never trouble me again. Sounds like you have a similar problem.

DEE'S NOVA
16-09-02, 03:35 PM
need to do it me self or get a m8 as the car is no where near rd condition

carltoncrazy
16-09-02, 04:28 PM
i had this,bet i can guess ur propblem,
1 the chances of the sender leaking are so slim.........slimer than posh spice.
so theres 2 pipe levainm the tanks,one the feeder pipe one the returner.
both will be shot.go to halfords ya can get a big roll of pipe for 2 quid,and replace the pipes.easy,put car on ramps tho.
and if ya dont want to drive it the put it up on the starter motor but il warn you it can fcuk the motor.
but yes it will be the pipes.bout 3 quid and some car ramps and a cross head screw driver and ya away

Dicko
16-09-02, 06:10 PM
under the back bumper?

wot model is it?

if its sri/gte/gsi might be fuel pump. that is under the back bumper.

ade
16-09-02, 06:36 PM
and on the ensible side watch when changing stuff around fuel lines/tank etc. Last thing you want is to blow yerself up.

If you can might be a good idea to drain the tank (specially if its full - make it easier/safer to work around)

if youve over filled the tank isnt there an overflow pipe or something (unsure)

Ade

Mr Dan
16-09-02, 07:30 PM
Yep do be careful. When I had the problem I ended up calling the RAC out as we weren't 100% sure what the problem was and whether it was the tank itself. The RAC man towed me home but said I shouldn't attempt to drive it two roads away to the garage, so I got them out again to tow me down. The ?50 bill was mostly labour so if you know what you're doing then I'd recommend fixing it yourself if you can.

DEE'S NOVA
17-09-02, 12:49 PM
KNOW what i'm doing :lol: don't need to i got u guys :roll:

it's a mk1 nova

and ade thanks for looking out for me man u always have words of wisdom :oops:

DEE'S NOVA
19-11-02, 07:59 PM
carlton crazy is this pipe stuff special like pressurised or fire proof for proctecton or do i just go in and ask for a big roll of pipe?

Aragorn
19-11-02, 10:45 PM
tell em u need fuel line for an injection car

that should get u the right stuff :)