PDA

View Full Version : overheating problems

wilson_sri
08-06-08, 03:15 PM
Got some major overheating problems on my nova.
Was driving at a constant speed on a dual carrageway, and the water temp shot right up to just under the red and then steam coming through the heater vents in the car. Then when i pulled off and started to slow down going through the gears to stop the temp started going back to normal. When i opened the bonnet could hear the water boiling like mad, when it finally cooled down a bit there was loads of pressure in the header tank and no water left. Put some water back in, well a lot of water in! And ran the engine with the cap off, a lot of air locks were being released but then started boiling up again.
The heater motor seized before this all happind, maybe this could of caused something? Im hoping its something small, but thinking it could be a porous head or gasket failure?

Welsh Dan
08-06-08, 04:00 PM
Any residue on the oil filler cap?

fjc
08-06-08, 05:55 PM
alrite bud, cars looking realy nice...... running it without a heater motor wouldnt cause it to overheat like that, ive got a dougs old valver nova now and its no heater motor and is fine with the temp........... so think you maybe looking into more the head pooped !!!! are all the water pipes circulating properly??

wilson_sri
08-06-08, 06:25 PM
Na theres no residue in the oil cap.

There was loads of air locks in the water pipes, could see them al lcoming out when we ran it without the cap on the header tank.

Rickyb
08-06-08, 06:33 PM
that defoo sounds like eather cracked head or head gasket.

meritlover
08-06-08, 07:22 PM
could be a head gasket failure, but check simple things first like the thermostat.

twistysnovagte
08-06-08, 07:39 PM
could be a head gasket failure, but check simple things first like the thermostat.hes more than likly to be right;) as the exact same happened to me through a faulty thermostat,and a blocked radaiator,renewed the two of them and its been perfect ever since:thumb:

wilson_sri
08-06-08, 11:21 PM
So i should check the thermostat and water pump first?
Also how do i get a new headgasket made up?

phatwake360
08-06-08, 11:27 PM
im in dunfermline pal if ya need someone to take a look :thumb:

drop me a pm

meritlover
09-06-08, 12:03 AM
So i should check the thermostat and water pump first?
Also how do i get a new headgasket made up?

start with the thermostart, take the housing off, throw the stat in a glass of boiling water and check it opens, if it doesnt then its dead and needs replaced.

water pump is harder to check because its driven off the timing belt, but when running from cold you should be able to pinch the hose with you fingers and blip the throttle high, you should be able to feel the pressure opening the hose and closing again as the revs drop, when warm (and if the stat is ok) the level of the header tank should rise and fall a bit (with the lid off) with revs and you 'may' see the water squirting into the tank through the bleed hose from the top of the rad.

head gasket is about £8 and the bolts are about £10. takes about 40 mins at the most. you dont make them up, you buy them from a motor factors.
take the opportunity to replace the timing belt and water pump if its not been done already.

wilson_sri
09-06-08, 12:21 AM
Cheers mate, some good info there.
Only problem with the gsket is its for a 1600turbo, so i need a thicker one to lower the compression.

meritlover
09-06-08, 02:02 AM
if this is a common problem, consider having a copper gasket made, it can be anealed each time and reused (providing there is no scores,corrosion or damage) best to have a very fine skim of the block and the head first, then you know youve got 2 perfectly flat surfaces.

dont be tempted you use 2 OE gaskets stacked on top of each other, its a terrible way to run an engine and is just asking for problems.

Will F
09-06-08, 08:39 AM
if this is a common problem, consider having a copper gasket made, it can be anealed each time and reused (providing there is no scores,corrosion or damage) best to have a very fine skim of the block and the head first, then you know youve got 2 perfectly flat surfaces.

dont be tempted you use 2 OE gaskets stacked on top of each other, its a terrible way to run an engine and is just asking for problems.

Which is what the problem could be tbh... What head gasket are you using?

You can take the stat out completely and run it up... that will tell you if thats the problem...

Sounds like gasket to me though

hybridturbo
09-06-08, 04:22 PM
Is the engine running 2 head gaskets and a spacer plate sandwiched in between?

wilson_sri
09-06-08, 05:30 PM
Is the engine running 2 head gaskets and a spacer plate sandwiched in between?
Yeh thats how its been built. Its definetly a blown gasket. Checked under the cap this morning before i got picked up for work, residue on the cap and the dipstick.

meritlover
09-06-08, 07:11 PM
fit one gasket and lower the boost until you either:
get lower compression pistons, or
get a proper thicker gasket.

dont stack gaskets, even with a sandwich plate, youve gone from having potential leak paths to 4.....hardly a recipe for a reliable force inducted engine.