View Full Version : Anti-syphon ballage

Nova_Tek
07-06-08, 10:58 PM
If the weather is nice tomorrow I will attempt to drain the fuel tank and take it off the car.

I did a thread recently of the best way to drain the tank and there were some good ideas but if I were to take off the rubber hose that connect the filler neck to the tank would the anti syphon ball stop the fuel leak or not?

If there is a small amount of fuel left in the tank I was thinking to jack up the right hand side of the car so the fuel tilts to the left, disconnect the filler hose, attach a pipe leading to a jerry can or a large container lower the car back down and jack up the left hand side of the car for the fuel to run to the right.

Will the anti syphon ball interfere with the amount of fuel coming out?

cheers :thumb:

meritlover
07-06-08, 11:19 PM
easiest way (and im sure others will like to disagree with me) is to remove the hoses from the carb (if its a carb) bend off the pipe supports from the bulkhead and stick the fuel pipe in a can beside the drivers wheel. it comes out fairly steady and makes it easier to switch cans and control the flow.

have fun and remember not to smoke.

Nova_Tek
08-06-08, 01:31 AM
Yeh its a carb, but in doing that will it empty the whole tank or just whats in the fuel lines?

meritlover
08-06-08, 03:59 AM
the whole tank. minus about a cupfull (if that)

Nova_Tek
08-06-08, 09:55 PM
ok well got back from from doing a bit of shopping :D

Parked the car on the ramps, got underneath, tryed to start a syphon from the filler neck but i couldnt find a powerful enough pump that had a good suction, so I undid the rubber hose that connects the tank outlet pipe to the fuel line and hey presto all the fuel came out in a nice stream.

Ran the car for 5 mins to see if there was anymore fuel in the tank and for it to suck it out but there was none. All the fuel left was in the lines and I was surprised how long the car ran for.

Turned it off took the pipe out and nothing was left in the tank.

Managed to take the sender off to see why it didnt work. I think the contacts on the circuit board are worn from 1/4 to 3/4 hence why it dont show on those levels.

Gonna go to Vaux tomorrow to confirm if the sender they originally told me is the one I have in my hands as it looks a bit different and hopefully the one I have they still service.

So quite a productive day.

:thumb:

Nova_Tek
08-06-08, 10:22 PM
As you can see from the pic the center part of the contact is worn. the bottom and the top part of the contatc is worn alot less, (cant be seen from image)

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/7647/08062008067ny4.jpg

I gave the litte metal contact on the arm a slight bend inward incase I cant source a new/refurbed part and need to use this one.

mowgli
08-06-08, 10:27 PM
it will be knackered, I first swapped one in about 1989 on a 4 year old 1.2. GM never updated them. a good motor spares place may do a new one.

Nova_Tek
08-06-08, 10:32 PM
Have tried so many places with the part that Vaux told me it would be but had no luck. Now the sender I took out the car looks different to the one they showed me so hopefully (fingers crossed) this other type is still available.

Nova_Tek
09-06-08, 10:32 PM
Has anyone bought a sender unit from a motorfactors? DO they do these parts in patent form or is it only possible to buy and original one from Vaux?

Went to Vauxhall today and they still stock them which is good news but they cost 64 quid with VAT.

Dont really have much choice I suppose If I cant find once anywhere else.