PDA

View Full Version : Attention engine builders. How much for the following

t45_ste
06-06-08, 09:05 AM
Evening all. Does anybody have an idea of how much i should pay for the following:

1600 16V shells
Crank re-grind
Oil pump
Oil Pick up
Head stripping and re-building using the same valves and caps etc
Bottom end assembling
Engine assembling and timing

im providing all gaskets and seals, rods, bolts, pistons, rings, crank, head and block
Just need and idea

thanks

ste

Will F
06-06-08, 09:26 AM
So its just labour you will be paying for?

A few hundred I reckon...

t45_ste
06-06-08, 09:40 AM
The engine builder is supplying the shells, pump and pickup. Im supplying the rest.

Philsutton
06-06-08, 10:20 AM
last time I did a crank it was about £160 for a regrind and for the shells as well.

Its quite a time consuming job really, depends on what they charge an hour. But IMO it will be quite a few hundred for labour, unless someone does it in there shed.

tom_beverley
06-06-08, 10:22 AM
Probably £300-£500, just ring round a few Ste and compare prices.

Stuart
06-06-08, 11:28 AM
and it depends how much of a monkey the builder is.... some spend extra time making sure everything is right, some just lob it all together and its then your problem if its crap.

t45_ste
06-06-08, 11:50 AM
Cheers for all your replys. Had a local firm quote £650, he's very old school but meticulous.

tom_beverley
06-06-08, 01:27 PM
The key is finding someone who you can trust to do the work for you, I would rather pay a few extra quid to someone who I know will do it properly.

Nick
06-06-08, 01:49 PM
i think i paid about £800 for the same kind of stuff, but also some L&B and a few more bits of work. And that was at a good place.

So £650 sounds about right.

Philsutton
06-06-08, 03:40 PM
and it depends how much of a monkey the builder is.... some spend extra time making sure everything is right, some just lob it all together and its then your problem if its crap.

people dont understand you can build an engine badly, most people on the internet will other people that anyone can build an engine. Which is true to a point, anyone can bolt and engine together, only a small few can build a good engine.