PDA

View Full Version : head gasket!

FUSION X16XE
05-06-08, 07:38 PM
Think my head gasket may have gone! Just went for a drive to the local supermarket for booze and got back and the engine was hhhooooottttt! the oil filler cap had spewed some oil out and driped down onto the manifold, had a look into the coolant and it looks a tad umm greasy! could this be the head gasket? sounds really tappy as well? what could be wrong? its a x14xe btw. cheers guys i really need my car atm for work and courses so i need it back asap :thumb:

mikey14sr
05-06-08, 07:56 PM
White smoke out of the exhaust and big bubbles in the header tank with the engine running accompanied by a lack of power? Is coolant being spurted out of the header tank? If yes than yes it is most likely HG failure.

I topped mine up and continued to drive it all of 20 miles before it emptied itself of coolant and started to boil the engine oil, that resulted in a very bent head and a nicely cracked block, along with some very nasty marks on the crankshaft bearing surfaces. That was what finally prompted me into putting the right size engine back in a couple of years ago.

FUSION X16XE
05-06-08, 08:02 PM
do you mean undo the header tank and have the engine running? my car always spurts out a bit of white/grey smoke on start up but lee said that was the auto-choke? and i have noticed a lack of power today!

FUSION X16XE
05-06-08, 08:05 PM
what would the water pump sound like if it was fudged? theres been a weird noise coming from the bottom of the engine?

mikey14sr
05-06-08, 08:23 PM
Rattling or knocking noise, take the belt cover off and see if you can wiggle the pump pulley around by hand (up and down, left and right), if you can it's goosed.

FUSION X16XE
05-06-08, 08:28 PM
cheers pal im off now but luckely ive got the day off 2moz so illhave a fiddle.