PDA

View Full Version : Custom 1.6 Merit power mods?

novablaze
15-09-02, 05:02 PM
I have put a Gsi engine in my Merit Plus, and was wondering if i put a new high power ignition coil on and some new Magnecor plug leads, would it make any difference? I dont like to think i am wasting my money so any advice would be much appreciated.

At the moment the car has got, scorpion stainless system, K&N induction Kit, Vernier Pully, Piper Cam Kit, Power Boost Valve, and NGK Plugs. Obviously i am trying to make my 1.6 as quick as possible without going down the route of a Turbo or Nitrous etc. It is very quick at the moment, and i have no probs with it, but does anyone know any free / cheap ways to increase the power any?

Thanks.

Dicko
15-09-02, 05:19 PM
instead of getting the high power coil get some NGK sparkplugs insted.

i found to get more power from using a modified airbox than using a K&N induction kit.

biggest power gains would be form a B+ cylinder head, or a set of twin 40's

novablaze
15-09-02, 05:29 PM
if i was to put Twin 40's on it i would lose the power boost valve and not be able to superchip it. I already have the NGK plugs in it, but i think just sticking it on the Rolling Road would be the best investment wouldnt it?

ade
15-09-02, 06:40 PM
if you want more power lighten the car. You may need to stiffen it though (anti roll bars). The old power to weight ratio thing...

Had a m8 who gutted a 1.2 - flew like sh1te off a shovel! (never understood that saying...)

Ade

Dicko
15-09-02, 06:45 PM
yep, but with 40's it will be alot quicker than with a chip etc. get a chip and then get it on a rolling road. they will tweak your vernier spot on :)

think iv seen a chip for that enginre at ?60

i had a superchip on my GTE engined SR and it made a big difference

Dan
15-09-02, 07:44 PM
For a rough idea what is possible and more on top look at my spec in the gte section of the galleries :)