PDA

View Full Version : fog light

davehaynes
04-06-08, 07:17 PM
car went in for mot yesterday, and failed on a few things, one being the rear fog light not working. I took the switch out and bypassed it with some wire and the fog light worked fine, this shows that its a problem with the switch so ive been to the scrappy today and got a few new fog light switches from corsa's and tried the in the car but still nothing.
could it be a relay? if so where is the rear fog light relay?
could it be anything else?
cheers lads, dave.

davehaynes
04-06-08, 08:25 PM
someone out there must know lol

Iain
04-06-08, 09:04 PM
I had the exact same problem, very weird isn't it! No switch will work but you can bridge the plug to turn them foglight on.

My "solution" was... A clicking push to make Maplin switch to bridge the grey/green and black/blue. I think you need a tell-tale for the MOT also.

davehaynes
04-06-08, 09:11 PM
yeah i thought about just wiring in a switch but yeah you need a tell tale for MOT :mad: can't think of what else it could be:confused:

Jack
04-06-08, 09:14 PM
Foglight doesn't have a relay does it? :confused:

Have you checked the fuse?

davehaynes
04-06-08, 09:19 PM
i didn't think it had a relay, ive checked all fuses and all seem fine, also if the fuse was gone then the fog light would not come on at all but it does come on when i bypass the switch with wire.

7ova
04-06-08, 09:39 PM
silly question :eek:

but are you trying the fog lights
with ignition on and lights on dip beam?

davehaynes
04-06-08, 09:43 PM
ermm yeah just with dipped beam on.

davehaynes
04-06-08, 10:13 PM
any ideas?
taking it for retest tomorrow so need it sorting lol

Jack
04-06-08, 10:25 PM
I'd say the switch was duff tbh. Bodge in another switch and light for the MOT

davehaynes
04-06-08, 11:02 PM
tried 2 switches i got from the scrappy and then took my bros out of his corsa, none of them worked:confused:
just want it through the MOT:mad:

Welsh Dan
05-06-08, 08:25 AM
Get a multimeter on those switches to find out what's going on.

Guderian
03-07-09, 08:54 AM
I KNOW THIS IS A 2008 THREAD BUT.....i have had a slightly different approach to solving this one.

Had a similar problem last night in preparation for the MOT. Switch is functional but nothing happening at the back of the car!

Bridged the back of the switch (grey/green to grey/yellow) and, hey presto we are back in business.

There is an inhibitor system somewhere in the loom (haven't bothered to find out where) that prevents the fog lighting when you are on 'main beam'. It can malfunction! By bridging these 2 wires you are bypassing the inhibitor and the only thing that needs to be on for the fog to work is a) foglight sw. b) sidelights.

(And yes, the little yellow warning light now works as well)