PDA

View Full Version : question regarding fueling on 1.6 t40

adam c
03-06-08, 08:57 PM
hi i have recently had a 1.6 t40 engine fitted it all seems good but when putting my foot down for a while it seems that it is emptying my fpr quicker than the pump can fill it back up!im currently using a facet red top pump and a filterking regulator both situated in the engine bay.

the only thing i can think of is that i still have the old injection pump still in the cradle which the fuel is coming through and this is slowing it down??(the pump is turned "off").

any help much appreciated adam:thumb:

Adam
03-06-08, 09:02 PM
Remove that pump and just replace it with fuel line.
That will be causing a big restriction in flow.

mikey14sr
03-06-08, 09:02 PM
yep, sound like the old pump will be causing the red-top one to struggle to suck through it, I'd take it out and join the hoses together with either a bit of copper pipe or another fuel filter.

adam c
03-06-08, 09:14 PM
thanks!i thought that was the problem.

next question lol

is the fuel pipe that comes out of the tank 10mm id?because it has a much larger pipe coming from the tank into the pump and then it has a smaller fuel pipe on the other side?8mm id?

mikey14sr
03-06-08, 09:34 PM
10mm bore from tank to filter, and 8mm bore after that I think.

adam c
03-06-08, 09:42 PM
so how do i get it down from 10mm to 8mm?ive been looking for reducers but carn't find any!also should i keep the filter that is inbetween the injection pump and the fuel lines?or just bin it as the facet has a built in filter.

mikey14sr
03-06-08, 09:49 PM
If the size change doesnt happen at the filter maybe a hydraulics supplies place might have an adapter, I'd keep the filter there to protect the pump, as the filter-king comes after it doesn't it?

Adam
03-06-08, 11:18 PM
You can get 8-10mm hose joiners, i got one from a motor factors.

Ash
03-06-08, 11:43 PM
I'd be inclined to mount the red top in place of the standard unit. IIRC the pump is better at pumping/pushing than sucking/pulling

Nick
04-06-08, 02:06 AM
They Suck fine. Mines still going strong !

tom_beverley
04-06-08, 09:10 AM
I'd be inclined to mount the red top in place of the standard unit. IIRC the pump is better at pumping/pushing than sucking/pulling

I thought the same, although I don't suppose its as important as carbs have a relatively low pressure compared to injection [where it may become a problem].

rednova
14-07-08, 04:40 PM
did removing the old pump rectify the problem just mine has the same symptoms when pulling off it bogs down slightly and i havnt got the original pump in - my pressure reg is set at 3psi does this need to be more?

Phil

adam c
14-07-08, 11:02 PM
yeah i removed the old injection pump and it sorted the problem out

mikey14sr
15-07-08, 10:18 AM
did removing the old pump rectify the problem just mine has the same symptoms when pulling off it bogs down slightly and i havnt got the original pump in - my pressure reg is set at 3psi does this need to be more?

Phil

3psi is about right, don't boot it, just open the throttle steadily, though maybe the jetting etc needs looking at?