PDA

View Full Version : rocker cover gasket

DEE'S NOVA
14-09-02, 04:59 PM
well today was the big day got me finger out and went to change the rocker cover gasket so get all the nuts off eventually then get the old one out and lift the new one only to discover that their different the old one is thick and the new one was pee thin like a bit of rubber string with all the little nut holes.i'm i right in thinking they have gave me the wrong one?

and do u need to tighten the rocker cover bolts with a torque wrench if so what r the settings plz?what would happen if i just tightend then with a spanner?

Matt Finary
14-09-02, 05:25 PM
The ones I have used on my nova and brothers astra are about 5mm think and like a pressed cork. You don't to torque them just tighten them up in a diagonal sequence.

Matt :)

Alex
14-09-02, 07:17 PM
you can get two types cork or, much thinner, rubber ones. Do not overtighten the bolts as they can snap easilly (as i found out)

Dicko
14-09-02, 08:44 PM
maybe they have give n you the gasket that goes betwen the rockerbox and the cam housing, all rocker cover gaskets should be a few mm thick.

and no u dont need a torque setting,m but dont overdo it or the gasket will pop out

carltoncrazy
14-09-02, 11:07 PM
ova tighten them then they snap,then ya drilling em out,its a sod,
get a rubber one there better

Dicko
15-09-02, 09:13 AM
make sure u get some petrol/thinners/white spirits and clean both surfaces before you put it in, any grease/oill will not be good.