PDA

View Full Version : Mot :@

davehaynes
03-06-08, 07:15 PM
nova went in for MOT today and failed:@
failed on... big list

rear indicators wrong colour! (their fecking orange!!!!)
no rear fog light
fog light tell tale not working??
hazard warning switch faulty?? no it isn't!!
windscreen wipers nackered.
headlights too high
carbon monoxide emissions twice the legal.
rear road wheels distorted, what ever the feck that means!
front breaks binding.

well.... im gonna work on the little annoying things like lights, switches, wiper blades also gonna adjust lights and look at emissions.

main things are.. brakes and rear wheels distorted even thought im not sure what that means lol, brake problem is the calipers need replacing.

mine is a 1.2 mk2, scrappy by me has a mk1 in not sure on the engine size. would the calipers off that fit mine? also what other calipers would fit?
im looking for a direct bolt on replacement, not a brake conversion.

and any help with what the hell rear wheels distorted means?lol

i HATE MOT's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cheers lads, and lasses.

Jim Mcrae
03-06-08, 07:24 PM
Wheel baring i would say

Adam
03-06-08, 07:25 PM
Buckled wheels?

All of those are easy pre mot checks tbh and could of been sorted before the test.

Apart from the emissions and the brakes binding

davehaynes
03-06-08, 07:25 PM
oh great sounds expensive!!

davehaynes
03-06-08, 07:28 PM
i know i should have checked it.
don't know what their on about with the rear indicators!! they have orange bulbs:@
well im getting all that sorted tomorrow.
so its just brakes and rear wheels and emissions.

davehaynes
03-06-08, 08:03 PM
any info on brake calipers??

mikey14sr
03-06-08, 08:38 PM
My mk3 astra used to get failed on indicator color every year, despite the clear lenses having orange filters in them and having a seperate set of very orange bulbs just to put in for the mot! never used to change them for the re-test though?

You've got clear rears haven't you? Time to get some standard lenses if you have, yes it's hassle to switch them over but at least you won't be searching for them when the plod tells you to put the standard ones back on.

The rear fog tell-tale is on the switch, and won't light up if the bulb at the back of the car has blown.

As your's is mk2, it should have the better ate style calipers, the mk1 calipers are utterly useless at the best of times, get down the local motor factors and get some exchange ones, they'll be fully rebuilt and clean, ready for painting too. You'll have to pay a surcharge on them but when you take the old ones back to them that'll come back to you.

davehaynes
03-06-08, 08:40 PM
yeah ive got clear rears, wish i didnt, too much hassle.
ohh so if i get new fog light bulb then the tell-tale light on the switch may work?

mikey14sr
03-06-08, 08:49 PM
If it's just a blown bulb then yes it should, it's very rare for the bulb in the switch to go (which is a little git to do, and while the switch is in pieces, might aswell convert it to an led).

davehaynes
03-06-08, 08:53 PM
oh right, didnt know that. fingers crossed then lol
cheers pall

davehaynes
04-06-08, 07:25 PM
been working on the car all day ad fixed some of the fails
list is now..

rear fog light, this may be faulty switch/relay

rear wheel distortion

emissions - carbon monoxide, this may be sorted when i changed the idle
mixture, fingers crossed

headlights too high, waiting till its dark and gonna adjust them tonight.

Jack
04-06-08, 09:16 PM
TBH, I'd have expected the MOT tester to adjust the headlights to a passable level if they were up too high. Every MOT I've had they've done that for me, and just advised of the change when I collect the car.

...unless the headlights are pointing way up the air and are beyond adjustment lol

davehaynes
04-06-08, 09:23 PM
nah i watched him do it, just stuck the machine infront of it, took the reading and then went inside the car and carried on the MOT, fecking ****hole.