PDA

View Full Version : pipe work on my td

rdznova16v
02-06-08, 12:29 PM
Hi just picked up a td nova it drives fine but there are pipes missing from the inlet to the airbox. The air box has been changed for an after market filter that runs strait from the turbo. Is this ok??? Here is a pic.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x246/rdznova16v/009.jpg

Any advise would be great:thumb:

mikey14sr
02-06-08, 12:57 PM
Well one of the pipes that's missing is the one from the turbo to the inlet manifold, so all that boost (well, what there is on a 1.5) will just be getting blown onto the front of the engine.

craig green
02-06-08, 01:00 PM
Jeez! I never ceased to be amazed at what lengths people will go to in order to fit a cone filter!

Get it back to std!

meritlover
02-06-08, 01:03 PM
WTF?! if youve been driving it, expect a melted turbo due to over speeding.

whats wrong with the std paper element of a K&N panel filter? jesus!
that looks gash!

rdznova16v
02-06-08, 01:16 PM
thanks i thoght it was wrong does anyone know where i can get hold of the parts i need to get it back to standard

rdznova16v
02-06-08, 02:07 PM
Well one of the pipes that's missing is the one from the turbo to the inlet manifold, so all that boost (well, what there is on a 1.5) will just be getting blown onto the front of the engine.

just taken it to a mate at a garage and he said it was fine he said the pipes that are missing are not needed as they was just doing the job that the new filter and pipe is now doing.

meritlover
02-06-08, 02:14 PM
oh well.....carry on then:roll:

lol lol lol

chimp007_uk
02-06-08, 02:19 PM
you're still missing the intake pipe :confused:

having the filter is fine, but you need to run a pipe from the turbo to the intake manifold. its basically naturally aspirated as it is...

meritlover
02-06-08, 02:22 PM
no i think its ok, its the hard metal pipe that takes the air discharge of the turbo to the manifold. the top part is just the filter housing from where the air comes in and goes out through it. i will have to dig out pictures from my old TD.

craig green
02-06-08, 02:31 PM
Aye, theres an airbox looking thing normally where the cone is now. Thats actually a resonator box to quieten it down. The filter is in the inlet.

meritlover
02-06-08, 02:33 PM
yes its like a small plenum that sids downwards of the intake was. now thats removed, the filter is in its place.
please revert this car to standard, it looks awefull!! its a very clean car otherwise!

rdznova16v
02-06-08, 02:44 PM
yes its like a small plenum that sids downwards of the intake was. now thats removed, the filter is in its place.
please revert this car to standard, it looks awefull!! its a very clean car otherwise!

thanks i have all intentsons of putting back to standard i just havent got the parts right now, All i wanted to make sure was that it was ok to drive untill i find the parts. thanks for the comments.

meritlover
02-06-08, 03:13 PM
glad to here this nice example will be treated nicely and not smelly.

it will bring you many years of happy nova driving in this condition.

mikey14sr
02-06-08, 04:02 PM
O.K. just been on EPC and this is the pic of the pipe layout that I found,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/mickyd79/EPC/nova15tdinletsystem.jpg
So yeah the turbo is still connected, the pipe which now has the cone filter on it would have gone to the oval hole on the original air filter, which is the black rectangular lump on top of the inlet manifold. The round hole on that is where the pipe-work for the resonator boxes and, ultimately, the main air feed into the filter would go.
Pipe 35 in the EPC pic is the one between the lifting eye and the dipstick in your pic.

Feck knows why they didn't just put the filter behind the passenger headlight in the first place.

meritlover
02-06-08, 05:19 PM
because the Isuzu engine is a self contained unit. and it allows the PSV in the plenum to blow off into the airbox.
they probably would have if the engine was not already developed.