PDA

View Full Version : Help Spraying

TommyJ
13-09-02, 01:58 PM
I'm half way through spraying my door but I'm not sure what to do.

I've Primered & Sanded, Primered & sanded, Primered & sanded.
Then I've Painted a few coats and now sanded using 1200 grit.

What now? Do I add another few coats and sand again or add a few coats and laquer it?

Help appreciated.

Thanks
Tommy J

ade
13-09-02, 04:26 PM
alright m8 - sounds like your on the right track...

Following guidelines are for non metalic paint only...

if youve sanded the 1st coat back using 1200 wet n dry (sanded wet I hope) then you need to look for slight imperfections (sanding swirls etc) and get shot of them.

You need at least 3 coats (if using celly) - however bear in mind that the new paint may be totally different to the rest of the body if its faded - the more paint you put on (layers wise) the better the shine/protection!

Once youve sprayed on the last coat (cutting back very gently each layer using 1200 allowing sufficient drying time) - allow the final coat a couple of days to harden, cut back using 1500 wet n dry (wet) very gently and then leave to harden for a further 7 days.

you then need to gently cut back using fine rubbing compound or just t-cut to bring out the shine. This can take a while but will work.

Or you can bring the door up using a buffing tool like a lambs wool mop on a drill (set to low setting) - or proper buffing tool - be careful not to burn paint (dont press hard and keep it moving) and do it gently - using a little t-cut/rubbing compound as you go - easier it you take all extras off - skin door to bare shell (remove locks handles etc) - for awkwars areas do it by hand.

Once shiney you can then seal using autoglym super resin polish or if you wish lacquer - but only do this if the rest of the car has been lacquered - otherwise it will be v shiney compared to rest of car!
Autoglym is usually the best.

After 2 months apply a proper car wax - but not before as the solvent in the paint will be trapped causing it to dull/blister (2 months allows full curing and total solvent evaporation - presuming you havnt got an oven to bake it in)

and that as they say it that... or one way anyay

good luck

ade

:wink:

MattyWoo
13-09-02, 07:48 PM
Seein as this seems to be ade's spray help forum, Please ade help me!!! :|
I sprayed my wing about a month or so ago, its gone really dull and manky, what should i do. hehe
Cheers Mate

apples
13-09-02, 11:05 PM
if the finish is flat after 1200 it just needs a good machine polish to get rid of the 1200 marks and bring it up to a shine.
if you are painting it again put two coats on. once dry, wet flat with 1200 and machine polish.
celly paint can be flat and polished after a couple of hours, but make sure its warm otherwise it will bloom and go milky, 24hrs and celly will have cured thru.
2k paint can be flat polished after 24 hrs but it can still sink/go dull a few days later unless you use infared heaters on it, which will cure it in 11 minutes.
as for your wing matty machine polish will put the shine back in, or you can give it a good old hand job with rubbing compound

ade
14-09-02, 05:10 PM
couldnt have said it better meself!

Most dulled paint work will come up with a good hand rub or gentle polish with a polishing machine - unless its too far gone (faded pink novas!)

Be careful of rubbing too much with t-cut which actually removes a thin layer of paint - too much use will result in you taking paint back too far revealing primer level!

If your confident, you can use an adapter with a woolen bonnet on a slow speed drill - be very careful and keep it moving - lubricate with t-cut/liquid rubbing compound or if you just want to bring out shine use supr resin polish or other very good quality polish.
Ref curing times - apples is right for curing times but most books will advise if you are allowing to air dry (no heat) leave for a few days - except 2pak which the loger you leave it the harder it is to cut back. 24 hours is good but celly will still be "soft" - e.g it will cut back very quickly so be careful.

:wink:

God - I need another project car! anyone fancy flogging me a run down but sound GSi?

ade

Ben (lurk75)
14-09-02, 05:29 PM
Ade what you offering?

TommyJ
15-09-02, 11:03 PM
Excellent, thanks.

I did it on Saturday, didn't get your post til today, but hey that's what I did and It's looking pretty good. I just need to buff it up a bit now and get a better shine.

Thanks.
Tommy J

ade
15-09-02, 11:57 PM
lurk m8 - what u got and how much you looking 4 - got any pics...

Dont want owt too expensive (under ?700 if I can) - plan to take off road for 18 months and do up slowly - totally change it! Been inspired by djp_y2k's beast! Looking well smart

Seen a couple on autotrader - even considering wisewoods shagged freebies!

:o

dave.gsi
16-09-02, 12:06 AM
lmao....wisewoods shagged freebies.......we talking women or cars?????