PDA

View Full Version : strong petrol smell and inlet noise

twistysnovagte
01-06-08, 04:07 PM
hi guys could you help me out here as i need to get to the bottom of this,i recently made a thread about a knocking noise from the bottom of my engine.but now that quote has been quashed by another mechanic saying the noise is coming from the inlet,he even said put your hand hard down onit and feel a slight vibration to the revs.hes saying i may have had a slight bit of oil from the overflow pipe go into the inlet and could be part blocked causing a slight knocking/tapping noise of which it is smelling of petrol due to the fact that not enough air is getting in to form the mixture with the petrol therefore the petrol smell.he said the rest of the engine sounds to be running perfect:D (great news for me if hes right)he did sound genuin and even got under the car had is hands down the back etc.what hes saying is that the inlet probaly needs a good cleaning out,(due to the age of the car) but should be done by a pro because of some sensor in the inlet that could be damaged.does this sound familier to you guys.
any help is much apprieciated guys:thumb:

andy

General Baxter
01-06-08, 04:44 PM
rev it, and take i wiff in the water tank lol

i just have and my headgasket melted lol

theres no mayo, or water in the oil, just a bad wiff on petrol in the header tank, oh and mine nocked it tits off untill i done the head bolts up lol

twistysnovagte
01-06-08, 05:24 PM
water and oil are both clean with no smelling issueslol ,i just want to know if this guy knows what hes talking about,and if it sounds a familier story to anyone,is it serious? will it lead to major problems in the future?:confused: i realy dont know anything about engines, only oil water and filter changes thats it:confused:

meritlover
02-06-08, 09:51 AM
take it to someone who knows what theyre looking at then. the mechanics quote is somewhat bizzare, but perhaps correct, perhaps not

could be a few things, broken ring,piston slap, worn bores, burnt inlet valve, gasket/s, knocks and rattles usually suggest somethings not right.
a decent mechanic would have done a compression check to get an idea of the condition of the engine.

mikey14sr
02-06-08, 10:19 AM
Petrol smell is probably a leaking pipe, if it's a GTE it's most likely around the fuel pump as the pipes back there rot easily.

A bit of oil going down the inlet wont have done anything other than leaving carbon deposits in the ports and on the valves, All engines are designed with that in mind though otherwise the crankcase breather wouldn't be plumbed back into the inlet.

oh and all engines vibrate, that's why they're bolted to rubber mounts!

meritlover
02-06-08, 10:29 AM
again, its hard to quantify the descriptions of 'knocks' and 'vibrations' without actually seeing the engine running.

twistysnovagte
02-06-08, 08:01 PM
take it to someone who knows what theyre looking at then. the mechanics quote is somewhat bizzare, but perhaps correct, perhaps not

could be a few things, broken ring,piston slap, worn bores, burnt inlet valve, gasket/s, knocks and rattles usually suggest somethings not right.
a decent mechanic would have done a compression check to get an idea of the condition of the engine.cheers mate i will definatly get this in the garage as soon as i have funds was just want ing to know how serious it may be but as you say its kinda hard to explain and therefore would need to hear it for yourself:thumb: