PDA

View Full Version : Engines and gearboxes

scottydogg38
31-05-08, 10:04 PM
Hi guys and galls, me and my mate were thinking about plans for the future of our nova's, he has a 1.0l and i have a 1.2l, and like most young lads we're goin in quests for power and speed. lol were still young and insurence might get expensive if we do engine conversions yet, so do you think we shud go for a 1.6gsi engine next year or wait till were older and get a 2.0l engine, because were not sure how long we can put up with our little engines, also i was planning to change my gearbox to a 5 speed, is there much point at the moment or shud i just wait til i do an engine conversion ?:thumb: thanks sorry its a bit long winded :D

big gra
31-05-08, 10:09 PM
not much differentce between 4 speed and 5 speed as far as economical is concerned, there just geared differently.

the way insurers tend to go off when youve done an engine swap, is they get a quote on the car the engine came out of, ie redtop they would get a quote from a calibra with that engine

adam c
31-05-08, 10:43 PM
i would make sure your car handles good first so that you can carry your speed through the corners and be back on the power straight away!you'll be surprised by the amount of cars you can leave/keep up with if you know how to chuck your cars about through the twisty's:thumb:

Andy
31-05-08, 10:54 PM
Source a 13Sr engine.They are quick little engines and responsive.Also i got a qoute on 1 the other day and it was only £30more expensive than the 1litre i insured today:wtf::mad: