PDA

View Full Version : Brake Piston

Nova_Tek
30-05-08, 08:47 PM
I have now started refurbing the actual mechanicals of the Caliper i.e. rubber sleeve and seals, bleed nipple and piston.

When I took the piston out it was in a good condition apart from a few bits of caked crap on it but also has a few spots of corrosion.

Now I rubbed down the correded bits with very fine wet and dry (1500) and got things smoothed down and gave it a good clean with some brake cleaner to get the rest of the rubbish off.

Im just thinking would it still be ok to use this piston? The inside of the caliper is clean no marks, scoring or corrosion.

:thumb:

jimbob-mcgrew
30-05-08, 09:09 PM
dont see why not mate, as long as you didnt go too mental with the sandpaper, should be cool.

Nova_Tek
30-05-08, 09:22 PM
Na mate like I said light rubbing down of the corroded bits to get any loose bits off. If I run my finger around the piston its all smooth.

Just thought Id get an opinion.

Didnt wanna spend another 50quid on parts and delivery on new pistons.

Cheers

mikey14sr
30-05-08, 11:43 PM
I've overhauled lifters in the same way and not had a problem with them. Just make sure that you only use brake fluid or proper brake grease for lube when putting them back together.

Nova_Tek
30-05-08, 11:50 PM
Cool mate,

Is it best to smear some brake fluid around the piston before fitting it back into its place?

mikey14sr
31-05-08, 12:14 AM
Yep, lube up the piston, the caliper bore and the main fluid seal with fresh brake fluid, the dust seal on the outside goes on dry.

Nova_Tek
31-05-08, 01:02 AM
Thanks Muchly