PDA

View Full Version : welding cage mounting plates

chimp007_uk
30-05-08, 05:00 PM
Evening all,

Right, finally going to get the seats and cage sorted... After my disasterous attempt a couple of weeks ago with the welder not feeding any gas :mad: :( I've persuaded Lloyd (8v screamer) to give it a bash...

Now...

I was going to weld the plates for the cage in, then drill through and bolt it. But, people how race have told me to use a hole saw and cut out hols for the the nuts, then weld the nuts to the plate and weld that in.

Whats peoples opinions and feelings?

Cheers all

Chris

mikey14sr
30-05-08, 05:24 PM
Bolt it together in the car, make sure it's sat in the right place, mark the centres of the holes needed, remove cage, drill holes, clean down to bare metal where the plates will sit, refit cage, bolt it up and weld the plates in, then take the cage out again ang give it all a good paint up.

Unless you have the group a style feet on the cage, that's how I'd do it.

chimp007_uk
30-05-08, 05:42 PM
thats similar to how i was going to do it...

its only a couple of guys who race that said to do it the other way and now i'm in two minds

mikey14sr
30-05-08, 06:07 PM
If the mounting feet are just flat plates on the floor that's the universal way of doing it, cant weld the rear arch plates in until they've been tightened up and bent to follow the curve of the arch anyway.