PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Turbo on Petrol?

AlexW
29-05-08, 03:35 PM
Im not the most mechaniancal (spelling) minded person but i know my valves from my clutch :confused: And i was thinking what about putting a 1.5 turbo diesel turbo onto say a 1.4 petrol, i realise it would need a new exhaust and a feed from the turbo to intake, and maybe a new mouting etc. But would it work?

No this isnt a new project idea but just a thought i had as i looked at a TD nova...

ck
29-05-08, 03:41 PM
yes it woudl work fine, could be a little on the small side but it would work. you woudl have to sort out an oil feed for the turbo and a drain either in the block or the sump. then you'll have to sort out the fueling or else it aint gonna last long at all lol

mikey14sr
29-05-08, 04:07 PM
On a carb engine you'd need to use a carb that's designed to be pressurised, like one off an R5 turbo. Could be made to work quite nicely on an SRi engine though, with a different ecu system of course.

Stuart
29-05-08, 04:12 PM
you will need to be aware that a turbo designed for diesel use is highly likely to melt under petrol use as the petrol exhaust gas is much much hotter than diesel EG.

AlexW
29-05-08, 10:51 PM
So Its just Plain Pointless! Ha, you would spend hundreds for it to work for five mins!

Philsutton
30-05-08, 08:34 AM
and also if your going to do it dont use a 1.5 TD one as it will just end up restricting more than anything. They are seriously small.

AlexW
30-05-08, 10:26 AM
and also if your going to do it dont use a 1.5 TD one as it will just end up restricting more than anything. They are seriously small.

I wasnt going to do it, I know it would be stupid to do all that work and not use a good turbo.

I just wonderd if it was possible.

Lee
30-05-08, 11:32 AM
This reminds me of a bunch of Tards on Scrapheap Challenge who were building a Scrapspeed record car. They bolted a dirty great V6 in, and then mounted a turbo from a 406 TDi!!!

It wouldn't do more than 40 mph lol. They chopped the turbo off for the second run and it did over 80 lol. Think they wasted 4 hours of build time making the exhaust for it lol

craig green
30-05-08, 11:39 AM
LOL....

If you are interested in doing a home made turbo conversion, buy a book on forced induction tuning.

Dod
30-05-08, 11:46 AM
Some local lads round here fit Cav TD Turbos to a Vtec Race car, seems they need new items once a month.

Philsutton
30-05-08, 12:22 PM
There is no way that a 1.7 TD turbo is going to flow anywhere near enough for a Vtec. To do so they must be spinning them at around a million RPM

Dod
30-05-08, 12:49 PM
I dunno, Havent seen it in action, but I've spoken to the lads. They reckon it works, and works well although they do tend to go through a LOT and would prefer a Petrol Turbo.

Stuart
30-05-08, 01:30 PM
I dunno, Havent seen it in action, but I've spoken to the lads. They reckon it works, and works well although they do tend to go through a LOT and would prefer a Petrol Turbo.

they be talking crap then :thumb:

Philsutton
30-05-08, 02:59 PM
Im with Stu, ive had people tell me their standard 2.5 V6 vectra can do 190mph and a 2lt nova can do 210mph in 3rd gear and they've been serious about it.

Lee
30-05-08, 03:22 PM
Surely a turbo charger is the worst possible mod to use on a Vtec anyway? An SG would be far better?

Philsutton
30-05-08, 03:25 PM
Vtec love turbos, they are the main cars that are beating us on the 1/4 over the turbo corsa / novas. You can get damn good power from them as well, it makes for an interesting drive though lol

Lee
30-05-08, 03:26 PM
I bet! As you said, the turbos must be doing eleventy million RPM!

General Baxter
30-05-08, 03:31 PM
There is no way that a 1.7 TD turbo is going to flow anywhere near enough for a Vtec. To do so they must be spinning them at around a million RPM

the blades rip to bits at 6500rpm when spinning for about 10mins lol

Philsutton
30-05-08, 04:02 PM
thats engine speed though? The turbo will be spinning a hell of a lot faster lol

General Baxter
30-05-08, 04:18 PM
thats what i mean, at 6500rpm engine speed, a 1.7td will last approx 10mins before it explodes

alltho i dont think i should of played with the govener on my td to rev that high lol,

add that to petrol heat and it wont last long at all lol

Adam
30-05-08, 04:19 PM
This reminds me of a bunch of Tards on Scrapheap Challenge who were building a Scrapspeed record car. They bolted a dirty great V6 in, and then mounted a turbo from a 406 TDi!!!

PMSL, that was a classic lol
Facking HUGE engine, and they fit a turbo off a blender onto it