PDA

View Full Version : Rear Drums Stuck on

joeSRI
29-05-08, 03:15 PM
hi i have just got back off holiday and the rear brakes have stuck on. When i reverse it just lifts the car up so it aint going anywhere, will it just be somethin like the wheel cylinder?

mikey14sr
29-05-08, 04:10 PM
jack the back end up and swing a sledge hammer at the ends of the rear beam with the handbrake off, if that doesn't work it's time to back off the adjustment, strip it all down and re-adjust.

CoolTiger
29-05-08, 04:12 PM
yea jack it up and give it a few clacks with a big hammer should sort it out

Nova_Tek
29-05-08, 04:13 PM
Give it a whack as mentioned. If that dont work then its the brake cylinder in the drum that has seized.

Happend to me after many years of not using the nova hand having the handbrake aplied all that time. A new Cylinder which only cost a few quid had sorted it.

Welsh Dan
29-05-08, 11:15 PM
It might be that the shoes are stuck on the backplate, this happened on mums corsa a few days ago, take the drum off, find out which bit is stuck. If the handbrake and cylinder are ok then take the shoes off, clean the backplate and side of the shoes then grease up the contact points.

NovaLad
29-05-08, 11:17 PM
Cylindors went on mine and was a utter ballache to get the drums off.

Good luck with it just needs persuasion.

joeSRI
30-05-08, 04:21 PM
thanks ppl. It just needed a whack with a hammer (wheelbrace actually :) )

craig green
30-05-08, 04:26 PM
leave it in gear for prolonged periods in future.

Lee
30-05-08, 04:31 PM
Agreed, i never park with the handbrake on unless its on an incline.

The handbrake sticking on has nout to do with the cylinders, the shoes are cable operated in this case, and its normally caused by corrosion on the handbrake lever arm on the front shoe and/or reduced strength in the return springs.

It could also indicate your drums are worn and the shoes are sticking in the groove that will have worn into the braking surface.

General Baxter
30-05-08, 04:34 PM
id of done it the old school way, and worked them loose, via a lot of flooring and smoke lol

Lee
30-05-08, 04:36 PM
id of done it the old school way, and worked them loose, via a lot of flooring and smoke lol

PMSL. When myself and Dar towed the transit up to ford for the second time, one of the wheels wouldnt release. We dragged it for a while before I decided it would need a smack. Nice flat spot on there now :D