PDA

View Full Version : X16XE Throttle Bodies Issue

Nova Full
28-05-08, 04:36 PM
I am in the process of putting an SBD throttle body kit on my X16XE, i've done the majority of the work but i've come to fit the trumpets / air horns (I have the shorter 40 / 48mm trumpets as I was told the longer trumpets wouldn't fit as I have the bulkhead / fire wall thingy in place).

The problem is the diameter of the trumpets is to large to enable them to sit flush on the air filter backing plate, i've spoken to SBD and I apparently have the correct ones but I need to machine them down slightly (approxiamtely 5mm off each looking at it)

now my question, I assume other people have done this or is SBD telling me porkies?

also looking at when its all fitted it appears the longer 90mm trumpets would fit ok, does anyone have these fitted to the 1600 throttle body kit and the bulkhead / firewall in place and a pic if possible?

Cheers

Gaz

lee303
28-05-08, 09:50 PM
SBD are correct, its unfortunate but the manifold for the tapered tb's mean they sit very close so the trumpets touch, skim as little off as poissible if i were you as you need the bellmouth effect from the trumpet
as for 90mm trumpets fitting, i think its do able but the filter becomes an issue, you could chop the firewall back though

Will F
29-05-08, 08:30 AM
I managed to get 90mm horrns, plus the ITG filter on, it was a bit close, but it wasnt a problem!

90mm are the recommended 'standard' too...

Bouch
30-05-08, 12:48 AM
I had to do the same to my trumpets chap. They just wouldn't fit, so i had to cut the sides of them and even after doing it, they still touch when fitted.
As for you using 40mm trumpets. The 40mm trumpets were designed for the corsa not the nova, as the corsa bulkhead sits much closer th the engine than the nova's.
I've got 90mm trumpets with a ITG filter on my 1.6xe nova and there's more than enough space.

If you need any photo's let me know.

Bouch

Nova Full
30-05-08, 02:34 PM
Bouch pic would be good if you have one

Gaz

lee303
30-05-08, 09:46 PM
yeah sorry, for some reason i thought you were fitting in a corsa, i had 90mm's om my nova with an itg filter no problems

brucer
31-05-08, 11:34 PM
how much did you pay for the kit from sbd? they include all the engine management aswell dont they?