PDA

View Full Version : To seam weld or to not seam weld?!!?

Nobby
26-05-08, 10:53 PM
Im reshelling my xe after pv but am unsure wether to seam weld the engine bay as i have heard alot of good but more worse opinions, my current xe has a ripple in the roof above the c pillar and has a rust crack/hole in the n/s chassis leg just behind the strut top where the loom goes into and my car hasnnt been seam welded, now my mates freind had a xe and he seam welded the whole engine bay and the floor under the dash started to crack because the bay was so strong?. So is it worse putting heat into and flexing my new shell or leave it as it is? i might use it on the track 1 day but it will be mainly for road use if that helps? Just wondered what peoples opinions was?? cheers:thumb:

BRoadGhost
26-05-08, 10:57 PM
What you wanna do is drill as many holes in the shell as possible.

Why have strength of chassis when you can be faster 0.1sec to 60 or do a standing Quarter in 0.2sec less?

Jack
26-05-08, 11:02 PM
Stitch weld, not seam weld.

With seam welding, if the weld fails the whole join tends to go. At least with stitch welding, if one goes you still have x amount of other welds holding the car together.

Andy
26-05-08, 11:02 PM
Stitch welding is better.Welds of around 1"1/2 long every 3-4" along every seam helps.Seam welding is a constant weld so the chassis cant flex so it flexes at the next weakest point wherever that may be and thus usaully causing damage.It is possible to have a too rigid shell

Andy
26-05-08, 11:04 PM
What you wanna do is drill as many holes in the shell as possible.

Why have strength of chassis when you can be faster 0.1sec to 60 or do a standing Quarter in 0.2sec less?

lol that would foldlollollol

Big_Chap
26-05-08, 11:06 PM
i know folks go on about stitch being better but my nova was seam welded and had the asw strengthening kit applied over ten years ago and still hasn't started to split. check my wip thread for pics.