PDA

View Full Version : Totally Utterly Pi$$ed Off

GTE999
26-05-08, 09:48 PM
As the title says it. I just finished painting the floor of my gte yesterday and had collected all parts to make the interior original (a lot of time/effort/money). All welding was done. Finished work today after an extremely hard day. On the way home in my astra coupe i was thinking i would build up the interior get it finished post the rest of my pics in my wip and give the car a good wax and polish. Then to my horror, drove into my street to see the good lady with the ugly speccy ice cream van man exchanging details along with a great dent in my n/s rear arch - pics

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh218/gte999/th_reararch.jpg

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh218/gte999/th_reararch2-1.jpg

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh218/gte999/th_reararch3.jpg

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh218/gte999/th_reararch4.jpg

Turns out the ice cream van man just decided to drive into my car as the till dropped off his shelf. Luckily the owner came straight round and offered to pay for the damage. Now the question is, do yous think this is a replacement rear wing panel or could a good panel beater straight and paint this??? The arches are in good condition and i dont want any chance of rustcoming through.

Its safe to say im pi$$ed off:mad: :mad:

craig

Mike
26-05-08, 09:49 PM
Mate, thats fcuk all!! You could probably push it out (bigger pics would be a help!)

Ash
26-05-08, 09:53 PM
Ouch! That would make my blood boil.

I'm not a pro, but seeing some of the dents they knock out of our rental vans, yours shouldn't be a problem.

Andy
26-05-08, 09:55 PM
That is harsh but at least he stopped and offered to pay,many people dont stop unless the car is occupied.Agree with Mike its nowt really,things always seem horrific when its your own car!

GTE999
26-05-08, 10:11 PM
bigger pics

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh218/gte999/reararch4.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh218/gte999/reararch3.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh218/gte999/reararch2-1.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh218/gte999/reararch2.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh218/gte999/reararch.jpg

what do yous think now??

GTE999
26-05-08, 10:13 PM
as you can see, its pushed in quite a bit and im worried because the panel has creased in 2 places and i dont want it to look like a ripple in the light.

lj
26-05-08, 10:17 PM
take it to somewhere and ask them mate... maybe let someon have a go at beating it....but a pro

CP
26-05-08, 10:21 PM
Very unlucky mate - really feel for you. There are a lot of thoughtless clots out there.

I think that unless you are planning on doing a lot of work yourself it will be a case of cutting out the old quarter and replacing it. It will never beat out properly without a lot of time and effort cos it will have stretched the steel. Its usually cheaper, quicker and easier to cut and replace. Panel beating these days on that scale tends to be for classic car renovation where parts aren't available.

GTE999
26-05-08, 10:29 PM
Very unlucky mate - really feel for you. There are a lot of thoughtless clots out there.

I think that unless you are planning on doing a lot of work yourself it will be a case of cutting out the old quarter and replacing it. It will never beat out properly without a lot of time and effort cos it will have stretched the steel. Its usually cheaper, quicker and easier to cut and replace. Panel beating these days on that scale tends to be for classic car renovation where parts aren't available.

Thanks mate, i thought it was gonna need replaced. Im really pi$$ed off because over the last couple of months ive spent every spare minute sorting all the leaks rust welding and sourcing parts. And now its totally set me back. Just annoyed that folk dont pay attention when driving and dont appreciate cars the way i do. Dont get me wrong, ill get the money from the owner but its the running around that i now need to do!

Jack
26-05-08, 10:48 PM
That could easily be pulled out, although if you want it minty mint you'll be needing a new quarter.

ade
27-05-08, 12:18 AM
thats sh1te matey!

as above - get them to pay for a eplacement rear 1/4 section - the whole back end! You could fettle it but tbh why should you! Replacement pattern part of beeverautos panel site is £60 odd + £10 delivery - then you just need a respray for the side...

craig green
27-05-08, 11:22 AM
Fitting thread title.

That would be so gutting. Right on the Novas main feature too.

Hope its sorted matey, tbh I'd insist on a new arch/quarter repair. It'll never be the same.

Paul
27-05-08, 12:25 PM
hmm in my experience with beevers, save yourswelf the price of postage just go and collect it, even if it takes you all day.

Matt2107
27-05-08, 01:24 PM
As already said... it will knock out but as the crease is right on the straight edges of the arch detail you'd struggle to get it perfect.

hybridturbo
27-05-08, 01:54 PM
No :( get the new rear 1/4 in and get every other little didnt scratch stonechip taken out and bill'd to them

Careless tossers

craig green
27-05-08, 02:39 PM
As already said... it will knock out but as the crease is right on the straight edges of the arch detail you'd struggle to get it perfect.

........... without filler.

GTE999
27-05-08, 09:04 PM
Got loads of quotes today ranging from £375 to £600 to sort. Most coachbuilders have recommended not replacing the quarter. One of the coachbuilders who have an excellent reputation have guartanteed that it'll look perfect and will warranty it. Ive basically told them that someone else is paying for it so i dont care about the cost. There saying that trying to fit a new quarter may cause prblems if its not sealed correctly and one of them actually refused unless it was a proper gm part i could supply. Apparantly most pattern parts like beevers dont fit that well.

After all the running about i done today, i phoned the owner of the van to tell them the price and they hummed and hawed a lot and i now feel like putting it through there insurance. At least then ill get i courtesy car.

Totally pi$$ed off because im trying to do them a favour so they dont loose there no claims bonus and i get the feeling they think im trying to con them!

craig

Lee
27-05-08, 09:10 PM
Call him. Tell him 'pay up or Ill call my insurers'. See what he does then :)

Mike
27-05-08, 09:12 PM
Call him. Tell him 'pay up or Ill send the boys round lol

lol lol

General Baxter
27-05-08, 09:16 PM

im in :thumb:

GTE999
27-05-08, 09:20 PM

I tell you mate thats the stage its at. I actually mentioned this afternoon that i would prefer to go through the insurers and they started moaning about there no claims bonus. Im serious pi$$ed off man, ive spent a fortune on the car between welding and replacing old parts, not that it needed it. When i bought the car from joe (hybrid turbo) i told him i would either xe it or return it to standard. Due to my obsession ive collected everything i need for an xe conversion (engine etc etc) along with all original parts (interior suspension, which has cost a fortune to import from germany/lux/belgium) and now this person who has inconvenienced me is trying to make me feel guilty for getting a decent honest quote:mad:

Im giving them until tomorrow and then reporting the matter to the police as the driver initially failed to stop. (was only when the missus ran after him out of the livingroom). Further to this he was driving carelessly ( if he cant see a white car, he could knock down one of the many children in my cul de sac). And believe me in my line of work, i no what careless driving is!

craig

General Baxter
27-05-08, 09:24 PM
just tell him, you have gone through the insurance, and put the phone down, he will ring back ;)

GTE999
27-05-08, 09:57 PM
just tell him, you have gone through the insurance, and put the phone down, he will ring back ;)

probably best thing to do

hybridturbo
28-05-08, 04:02 PM
Get the quotes on paper if you havnt done already

Im not sure what the legal situation is with trying to get a deal (so he doesnt loose his no claims) but i wouldnt want to be left with a £600 + bill because you played along with it.

Get on the phone if he messes you around after the next call, contact your insurance

BIGS
28-05-08, 04:08 PM
Mate thats harsh! hope you get it fixed soon. but in the mean time try this on the dent ! ( It really do work )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miNykNl-0NM

Jeff16v
28-05-08, 04:20 PM
Dude, someone hit my wifes car then offered to pay cash for the repair. I got a quote for £200 and when i went to collect the money the husband said cars a piece of sh&t and it would take £5.00 worth of filler to fix it. I tried to be nice but since they were rude i thought, fcuk em, went through insurance and claimed courtesy car for two weeks, ended up costing £700.00. serves them right.

I would never settle for cash ever again. You pay for the insurance, let them sort it out.

GTE999
28-05-08, 05:37 PM
Mate thats harsh! hope you get it fixed soon. but in the mean time try this on the dent ! ( It really do work )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miNykNl-0NM

:confused: is that real:confused:

Jack
28-05-08, 05:42 PM
lol "my big dent disappear" lol

Hmm, effectively thats saving heat the metal, then cool it and it will pop back to shape. I don't reckon that would remove small folds in the metal, then there's still the paint scraping....

Lee
28-05-08, 05:45 PM
I actually mentioned this afternoon that i would prefer to go through the insurers and they started moaning about there no claims bonus.

craig

FFS, he hit your car. Stop throwing him a bone and phone your insurers. Also, you have the right to choose who does the work as long as theyre approved, so make sure its a fecking expensive bodyshop as well!

GTE999
28-05-08, 05:51 PM
FFS, he hit your car. Stop throwing him a bone and phone your insurers. Also, you have the right to choose who does the work as long as theyre approved, so make sure its a fecking expensive bodyshop as well!

I know what your saying but by dealing with it this way, they cant critisice me for being unfair. Anyhow there coming round tonight to speak about it and im giving them an ultimatum.

ade
28-05-08, 06:41 PM
I work in insurance - do youself a MASSIVE favour and stick it through the insurance. That way not only will the work be done quickly and to a high guaranteed standard by a recognised garage it will save you the hasstle of them not paying the full price and you having to shop about to keep them happy. I mean - once its in the shop whats to stop the garage increasing the price to fix it and them refusing to pay.

If youre not willing to do that pics the most expensive shop - you pay for what you get nowadays.

If hes got an issue with his No claims he should have been more careful and he shouldnt have been a tight wad and not paid the little bit extra to protect it!

Also - if you put in a claim it stops him saying you hit him! Believe me I've seen that happen and although the angles and wot not may prove otherwise it takes a hell of a lot longer to disprove it and get it sorted.

GTE999
28-05-08, 10:08 PM
I work in insurance - do youself a MASSIVE favour and stick it through the insurance. That way not only will the work be done quickly and to a high guaranteed standard by a recognised garage it will save you the hasstle of them not paying the full price and you having to shop about to keep them happy. I mean - once its in the shop whats to stop the garage increasing the price to fix it and them refusing to pay.

If youre not willing to do that pics the most expensive shop - you pay for what you get nowadays.

If hes got an issue with his No claims he should have been more careful and he shouldnt have been a tight wad and not paid the little bit extra to protect it!

Also - if you put in a claim it stops him saying you hit him! Believe me I've seen that happen and although the angles and wot not may prove otherwise it takes a hell of a lot longer to disprove it and get it sorted.

spoke to them tonight. they recommended a back street garage and i told them where to go. i told them where i wanted it to go which is fairly reasonable. Also told them they had until tonight to decide and come up with the money.

Plus there were three folk who witnessed the accident and i also got the driver to sign that he admitted liability in the presence of two witnesses (scottish law).

What a fu$%in9 pain in the t!ts man!

BIGS
28-05-08, 10:28 PM
:confused: is that real:confused:

Yea as said i would not of thought it would get the folds out but would get the dent out.

GTE999
29-05-08, 11:12 PM
Hi lads, just a quick note to let yous know that i got my money tonight from the owner of the van. Thanks for all the help. Ill post up all the before and after pics on my wip. As i said ive got everything i need to finish the car and im really looking forward to driving it again.

cheers again
craig

GTE999
18-06-08, 11:38 PM
Well guys

went round and seen the car tonight and im delighted to see that the cars been repaired to an excellent standard. The owner of the bodyshop phoned me two days ago saying that there were two folk interested in buying the car and obviously i said no. When i went round tonight they were there saying "name your price"!!!!

after everything thats happened, its certainly lifted my spirits because im now sorting the interior and cant wait for it to be finished.

The owner of the garage also offered to buy the car. Its givin me reassurance thats its been repaired to a good standard. watch out for my wip because im well chuffed with it. I feel like im 18 again (ohh those were the days!)

craig

Dod
18-06-08, 11:53 PM
So good you said it twice. Well done mate, good result.

GTE999
19-06-08, 12:21 AM
So good you said it twice. Well done mate, good result.

:thumb: