PDA

View Full Version : selling car but want the no clames

hc coupe
26-05-08, 09:31 PM
Hello,

I'm going to sell my nova and have paid out, up front for the insurance.
I belive I'm only half way throught the year.

So can I not tell the insurance company that i've sold the car and wait till i get a new car further down the line or just wait until the years up and get my years no clame's

Thank you

I would rather the no clames than the money back to let you know.

Mike
26-05-08, 09:35 PM
If you inform them that youve sold the car, and you fail to get another vehicle within xxx days and put it onto your existing policy the insurer will refund you any amount due back to you.

You could sell the car and not tell them its gone though lol but they'll keep the money

Jack
26-05-08, 11:26 PM
I held onto my hatch policy for a month or so (it cost me £fcuk all to insure, so one month didn't make much difference to the rebate), but in the end HIC wanted some obscene fee to switch to the GT4 - suffice to say I could have insured it for two years on a better policy for their 6 month quote lol I didn't tell HIC I'd sold the Nova until I cancelled the policy.

So yes, you can... bear in mind its a bit shady in terms of law as effectively you're saying you own the car (most insurance policies state the main driver must be the registered keeper), which you don't after you sell it. However, as the insurance company are making money out of the deal, don't expect them to quibble it. I certainly wouldn't advise doing it for any length of time.

5T1G
27-05-08, 10:36 PM
Are you suggesting that by not telling the insurance company that you have sold the car but keep the policy running so to get a 1 years no claims?

If so is this possible? You could by a car thats cheap to insure, never drive it so your gaurenteed to get a years no claims. That could have benefits to some people.

draper
27-05-08, 10:39 PM
i know someone who did that when he got banned, didnt tell the insurance company as he'd paid the full policy up, renewed at renewal time for a cheaper price then when the ban was up simply carried on driving

very dodgy and if he'd of had a an accident he would of been upto his neck in the brown stuff

Jack
27-05-08, 10:50 PM
Are you suggesting that by not telling the insurance company that you have sold the car but keep the policy running so to get a 1 years no claims?

If so is this possible? You could by a car thats cheap to insure, never drive it so your gaurenteed to get a years no claims. That could have benefits to some people.
No, insuring a car that you don't own is insurance fraud. I wouldn't recommend it for any length of time.

As for insuring a cheap car and not driving it, yes you could do that but its a bit of a naff way to earn a years NCB. Having said that, Alex rarely uses her polo as she's at uni, but still insures it thus earning a decent amount of NCB.

Will
11-06-08, 01:02 PM
i did this on my red 1.2 merit

brought for £400 used without any issue for years

lent to an ex GF when got new job with company car

she gave it back. i sold it for £150 but still had 4 months to go until i reached 5 years NCB so i left it and never renewed

still have the 5 years sitting here doing nothing which i want to use lol lol lol