PDA

View Full Version : fitting 1.4i engine in 1.2 nova feul pump help

dickie210
26-05-08, 08:20 PM
hi ive blown my engine up in my 1.2 nova carb model 1990 ive now fitted an 1.4i single point injection engine from a k reg astra, the engine is in and i have taken the single point injection off and fitted the 1.2 carb but where the fuel pump goes it is blocked off so cant fit it on. can i fit an electric fuel pump please could some one help also what do i need to do with the distributor cheers.

jimbob-mcgrew
26-05-08, 08:40 PM
dont think carbs need fuel pumps mate, try pluggin the fuel feed line straight onto the carb, itll probably run a bit dodgy on the carb as it'll be jetted for the 1.2

AlexW
26-05-08, 11:31 PM
dont think carbs need fuel pumps mate, try pluggin the fuel feed line straight onto the carb, itll probably run a bit dodgy on the carb as it'll be jetted for the 1.2

Dont! Yes carbs need a pump. Low flow Low pressure pump. My advice would be to source a 1.4 head and carb, No messing about with the 1.2 carb and no messing with the fuel pump. Its also cheaper.

Im doing/done the same conversion.

ck
27-05-08, 01:40 AM
yeah carbs do need some form of pump. hence why they have a mechanical pump on the left hand side of the cam carrier. you can use your normal tank and get a lift pump, on the better side a facet gold/silver pump. or like AW06 said about changing the head. you should be able to just change the cam carrier for one with the mechanical pump, u'd have to make sure the cam has the lobe for the pump tho.

IMHO the easiest way to get you up and running is a small lift pump nr your tank.

Dod
27-05-08, 09:20 AM
Why not use your own 1.2 Cam Carrier and pump from it?

As its an SPi Engine, try and get a 14SR Carb. Fit it with the 1200 Cam Carrier and bang, you got a 14SR Spec engine.

jimbob-mcgrew
28-05-08, 04:16 PM
thas prety much what i meant, sorry bout that, assumed youd be using what came off the 1.2, worded that a bit wrong.